Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

'14 Impala LTZ2 -> You have rough idle?

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2014, 3:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '14 Impala LTZ2 -> You have rough idle?

My 2014 LTZ2 has what I consider a rough idle. It's not overly rough, but what I am experiencing is that when stopped, I feel a vibration in the steering wheel. I don't recall that in any of my other cars I've had.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it normal?

I had it at service dept and listed rough idle, but when I picked it up, they said they could not replicate the problem. I didn't have time to stay and discuss.
Old December 6th, 2014, 5:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 56_kruiser
My 2014 LTZ2 has what I consider a rough idle. It's not overly rough, but what I am experiencing is that when stopped, I feel a vibration in the steering wheel. I don't recall that in any of my other cars I've had.

I had it at service dept and listed rough idle, but when I picked it up, they said they could not replicate the problem. I didn't have time to stay and discuss.

How many miles? LuckyDriver also has had complaints, but he's near 20k or more.

Let me find the link to that.
Old December 6th, 2014, 5:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 56_kruiser

do you have a stumble at idle after hiway driving? - Chevy Impala Forums

vibration in steering wheel when stopped - Chevy Impala Forums

I had a P0010 at 860 miles. I couldn't tell as of yet, but it was slightly rough. My MPG had fallen off drastically 18 mpg, but I didn't know that was a problem since it was so early on and I hadn't driven it much.

2014 2ltz mil - Chevy Impala Forums

But after they replaced the actuator, it was smooth. That I noticed.

There is a slight vibration I can feel at times, but it is barely noticeable. This motor is DOHC SIDI. Is this your first one?

Compared to my rough idle cammed f-body, anything else is smooth.
Old December 6th, 2014, 9:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
How many miles? LuckyDriver also has had complaints, but he's near 20k or more.

Let me find the link to that.
I have 5600 miles on it.

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
do you have a stumble at idle after hiway driving? - Chevy Impala Forums

vibration in steering wheel when stopped - Chevy Impala Forums

I had a P0010 at 860 miles. I couldn't tell as of yet, but it was slightly rough. My MPG had fallen off drastically 18 mpg, but I didn't know that was a problem since it was so early on and I hadn't driven it much.

2014 2ltz mil - Chevy Impala Forums

But after they replaced the actuator, it was smooth. That I noticed.

There is a slight vibration I can feel at times, but it is barely noticeable. This motor is DOHC SIDI. Is this your first one?

Compared to my rough idle cammed f-body, anything else is smooth.
I don't have a stumble that I've noticed. I have noticed it rough idling more on occasion, but not tied to highway driving. When it is rougher, it is just for a short time.

I wondered if this particular engine would be expected to be a bit rough due to whatever is in it for the HP. HOwer, I don't think a 302 HP engine should idle rough. I had a 302 HP Mercedes 2012 Coupe, and it idled fine. My LS1 2004 Corvette motor in my '56 does not pass a vibration to the steering wheel.

I'll check out the links you posted. Thanks...
Old December 7th, 2014, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

I haven't seen the underside of a Gen9 so don't put a lot of faith in what I'm about to say.

The rack and pinion is mounted on the floor pan and the engine is on the cradle. Does anybody have a clue about how a slight idle roughness is being coupled to the steering column? Could the rubber cradle insulators have changed?

I'd be tempted to disconnect the upper engine mounts (the dog bones) then push and pull the engine fore and aft while it's idling to see if I could change the character of the vibration by stressing the lower mounts. Maybe a mount is somehow grounded.

Still, none of this explains the tight coupling to the steering column. If it were just a rough idle you'd see the engine shaking.