Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2000 Chevy Impala wont start with battery and security light flashing

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2015, 12:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Chevy Impala wont start with battery and security light flashing

Okay. I bought a 2000 Chevy Impala about 3 weeks ago from a used auto lot and its a great running car. No issues. I drove it from Akron to Cleveland this past Saturday and it had no problems. Got home and only moved it once to a different parking spot that evening. Sunday, I opened the car door and noticed that no lights came on so I immediately thought the battery was dead. Went to try to start it, but nothing at all. I had a new battery at my dads so i got a ride and picked that up and that night i switched out the batteries. Still nothing so I thought my other battery was dead so i put it on the charger over Sunday night to have a fully charged brand basically new battery in it for Monday morning!

Well, same thing Monday morning. My dad came over and we tried to resolve it but it came to me searching online about it and I found out about these forums about soo many people having the same issue. And that it comes down to a security issue with GM products, like some kind of dumb anti theft system that clearly is out of hand. I read about a 10 min reset method where you turn the key on like you try to start it and then stop but letting it sit for a bit like that. When I do that, the battery light and security light flash on and off with one another on the dash for well over 10 mins so I dont know if i should just leave the key on forever or what. I dont want to drain the battery.
So the car is sitting right now like that. Wont start, lights flash when key is on. Any ideas?
Old August 11th, 2015, 3:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=joshrichards182;305741]Okay. I bought a 2000 Chevy Impala about 3 weeks ago from a used auto lot and its a great running car. No issues. I drove it from Akron to Cleveland this past Saturday and it had no problems. Got home and only moved it once to a different parking spot that evening. Sunday, I opened the car door and noticed that no lights came on so I immediately thought the battery was dead. Went to try to start it, but nothing at all. I had a new battery at my dads so i got a ride and picked that up and that night i switched out the batteries. Still nothing so I thought my other battery was dead so i put it on the charger over Sunday night to have a fully charged brand basically new battery in it for Monday morning!

Well, same thing Monday morning. My dad came over and we tried to resolve it but it came to me searching online about it and I found out about these forums about soo many people having the same issue. And that it comes down to a security issue with GM products, like some kind of dumb anti theft system that clearly is out of hand. I read about a 10 min reset method where you turn the key on like you try to start it and then stop but letting it sit for a bit like that. When I do that, the battery light and security light flash on and off with one another on the dash for well over 10 mins so I dont know if i should just leave the key on forever or what. I dont want to drain the battery.
So the car is sitting right now like that. Wont start, lights flash when key is on. Any ideas?
I had the same problem. I had to replace the ignition lock and cyliner and also the body control module. Computer had to be reprogrammed also..Hope this helps