Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2001 lock cylinder

Old June 16th, 2016, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 lock cylinder

i have a 2001 impala that when running i can remove my key. it wont turn all the time sometimes it does then other times i have too try a couple minutes before it will start. can i replace just the lock cylinde rwith new keys? what is the procedure to do that?once in awhile the secutriy light will come but not all the time.will i have too mess with the passlock codes? thanks
Old June 17th, 2016, 6:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you need a lock cylinder. what happens next depends of the theft deterrent system build. does the key have a pk3 or + symbol on the blade
Old June 18th, 2016, 6:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no just a standard key
Old June 18th, 2016, 1:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

standard non transponder systems use passlock theft deterrent. the passlock sensor is part of the lock cylinder. A theft deterrent relearn will be required to change the lock cylinder. there is a 10 minute learn that requires a scan tool and a 30 minute relearn that does not required a scan tool.
I would have the dealer do this as if the 30minute relearn fails...the car will not start. GM programming will be required to do the 10 minute learn procedure.
There will be codes set so they can view them and determine if the bad lock cylinder is the cause.

the keys are cheap so you might as well replace the old worn keys also. do not trace old keys. have the new keys cut using a reference code.

Search this Thread