Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

body slide after parking

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2008, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body slide after parking

First of all, hi!
Looks like I've finally found the right place to hangout.

Anyways, it's about my 2007 Impala LT.
It didn't happend until couple of months ago.

Whenever I parked my car, my Impala tends to slide a bit. I mean a lot compared to the other cars.
So I took to the services but they told me that it's normal. One guy even told me that it's a 'feature', called something-brake-system. Two different service shop, same opinion; no problems found.

Everyone in my family noticed the sliding.Some says not much, but Ifeel it almost every time when I park.Over the years, our familyowned 8 different cars, 4 of them Chevy, but never had this kind of problem/issue/feature(?).

So I did a little testing. I parked my Impala on a flat surface,then pushed the car car a little.Even with not alot of force, the bodyslided quite a few inches.I tested with other cars that was parked on our house but no other cars moved as much as my Impala. I told this to the service but they told me that every car is different and there's nothing we can do about it. They adviced to use parking brake, but come on..

Am I being too sensitive? Is it really nothing to worry about?

Thanks for any replies.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 6:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: body slide after parking

MY 08 ALSO WILL MOVE A LITTLE IN PARK, ON A FLAT SURFACE IF YOU LEAN ON IT, AS THEY SAY, IF IT BOTHERS YOU USE THE PARKING BRAKE ALSO.
I THINK PART OF THE MOTION IS FROM THE MOTOR MOUNTS FLEXING.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

So I guess it's really nothing to worry about. Never had a car that slides this much. Now I know that at least there isn't a problem in my car... I think..

Can you tell me more about the motor mounts flexing? I've googled but got no clear answers. I'm a bit car noob but I'm here to learn.

( Andtyping inCAP usually means YELLING on the net, just to let you know. [8D])
Old January 24th, 2008, 6:30 AM
CF Junior Member

If you open the hood & rock the car back & forth, you will notice the engine moves some, that is the motor mount flex I referred to.
The mounts are made of rubber to eliminate noise and vibration being transfered to the body.