Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2002 Impala LS - front suspension noise

Old March 20th, 2007, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Impala LS - front suspension noise

Hi Folks,

Here's a rundown. I have 91k miles on my Impala and I'm getting a creaking/popping noise from my front end at low speed. Starting from a dead stop is when it's most apparent, sounds like a heavy wooden door opening almost. Sometimes it will set off the ABS just as I'm about to stop. I do believe the ABS problem is related to the noise, like there's wheel movement somehow.I do not hear the noise when going over bumps so it doesn't seem like a strut issue. I already replaced the strut mounts last week and no improvement. I took it to a shop close to work and they can't seem to find the problem, but they aren't a GM dealer so they didn't dig too deep. The car drives fine at normal speeds and while turning sharp.

Has anyone run into this before? Would worn control arm bushings cause this or something else?

PS I know the W body style cars have issues with the Intermediate Steering Shaft but I'm pretty sure this isn't the problem due to where the noise is coming from (can feel the pop in my feet) and the ABS thing, BUTTTTTT the ISS could still be it and the ABS is a seperate issue like a sensor going bad. Oh, it also sets off the Traction Control every once in awhile like starting from a stop.

Any ideas are very appreciated!! Thankyou.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2002 Impala LS - front suspension noise

Update:

The popping noise was the Intermediate Steering Shaft. I decided to give it a shot and try a quick lube and bought some PB Blaster and squirted a good amount down the shaft without removing it to see what would happen. Noise is gone completely. The ABS/Traction control must be a seperate issue.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
CF Junior Member

With the popping noise in the ISS were you able to feel anything in the steering wheel? I am wondering if I have a similiar issue.
Old October 7th, 2008, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

I have same noise in my 2008 Impala SS. When I turn left into my driveway at about 10mph I hear a crunching noise much like the suspension is in a bind. Tell me exactly where to put that lube and I'll try that. Only difference I notice is that if I stop in the street before I turn left into the drive, there is no noise. The car has to be going thru the turn with very light pressure on the brakes. Could the ABS be involved with this noise?
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

I'm going to try lubing the intermediate shaft as well. Our '03 has had this popping noise as well for awhile now.I have a friend who works at a GM dealer and took our car in to have a tech look at on his lunch break. He advised we need new front struts and that should solve the problem. I figured at 85k struts are not a bad idea for an early spring afternoon job as I only have a carport and not a heated garage to work in. If the lube stops the noise I'll be sure to mention this to my friend.
Thanks
E.
[&:]