Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2002 Impala nightmare

Old September 23rd, 2015, 3:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2002 Impala nightmare

I purchased a 2002 Chevy Impala LS with a blown transmission. Had the transmission rebuilt (not at a professional shop) by someone who does them on the side. Cannot express the huge mistake this was. When I got it back it still had issues...shift solenoids, valve body cover, valve body, and now the gear ratio is off so it still doesn't shift smoothly, this is because it has an SS transmission in it as the original LS transmission wasn't salvageable. Waiting for the fix on that one. Though it is drive-able (or so I was told).

Then last night, it decided to uncontrollably accelerate. I tried the brake, no luck. (FYI I was on the highway going 70mph when this occurred) I put on the hazards, tried the brake again, then popped it in neutral causing rpms to skyrocket, and shut her off. Had her towed home and today am going to be trying to decipher what her problem is (at least enough to get her to a shop). I've looked online and found tps & tranny for the acceleration. She leaked a ton of what appeared to be coolant on the ground so I'm presuming I also have a radiator, radiator hose, or water pump issue now too.

I am looking for any suggestions on how to make this car run right. I'm going to take it to a diagnostic shop as soon as I can for the transmission. But first, I have to get it there.

Complete list of Known Car issues:
*ABS light on
*traction control light on
*oil light on
*fuel gauge doesn't work
*check engine light on
*gear ratio
Old September 24th, 2015, 11:34 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a lot of stuff going on there..... After the transmission was replaced, were all the grounds reconnected TIGHTLY and SECURE? Loose and missing grounds can really chase you around with multiple faults.