Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2003 Chevy Impala ABS/Service Traction System light Problem

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2015, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevy Impala ABS/Service Traction System light Problem

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Impala LS V6 75k miles.

Sometimes when I brake or make a turn, the steering feels a little bit tougher, I hear a sound I suspect is the ABS and the brake sometimes becomes almost unresponsive and the brake pedel goes stiff so it can't be pressed, then the ABS and Service Traction System light comes on. All of the problems usally happen at the same time and I notice this happens more frequently with rain, the brakes becoming unresponsive is dangerous.

What could be the possible problem? How would I fix it? And how much would it cost?

Thank you in advanced.
Old November 12th, 2015, 3:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2001 had a several problems with the ABS. First thing I did was have it scanned for codes. I then replaced the wires and connectors that connect to the front wheel sensors. They have a kit for that and it in essence replaces the wire leads where they have been flexing repeatedly every time the lower control arm bounces over a bump. I clipped off the old leads and sliced in the new ones according to length right up front near the radiator support. It ran fine for a year then started throwing ABS lights again. This time it was the passenger side wheel bearing that went. A short time later it was due the the ABS electronics and pump unit itself. This time I brought it to the dealer where they separated the electronics from the ABS pump, cleaned the contact and them put dielectric grease on the contacts and reassembled it. The car ran without an error for the 2+ years until I traded it for my 2014 Impala.

Your Impala may have different causes than mine, but I would start by getting it scanned to see what wheel(s) is causing the problem. When my wheelbearings were replaced, they had over 125K on them, but the service life of them depend what kind of roads they were driven on.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a guessing game without codes, code be speed sensor wiring or the sensor itself