Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2003 Impala - Crank but won't start

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2014, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Impala - Crank but won't start

2003 Impala, 174k miles. 3.4 engine. Cranks but won't start.
For about a week I've turned the key and it cranks a few turns then stops cranking. I found if I held the key in the start position it will crank, stop, then crank again and it fires up. My codes were Crank Sensor and Misfire (P0336 or P0337 I think... I'll look at my notes tonight). I cleared the codes and now it just cranks, won't start at all. No spark at the plugs so I've not even checked the fuel pump. I took the ICM off and had it checked at O'Reilly's and it passed. I just put a new crank sensor on last night. It still cranks but won't start. I turn the key to ON and the security & battery light flashes. I just talked to someone and they said to reset the security by leaving key ON for about 10 minutes or until Security stops flashing. I'll try that tonight. But in the mean time if someone has a suggestion I'd like to hear it before I have it towed to a mechanic.

Thanks,
Lyle
Old October 13th, 2014, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So why won't you replace the crank sensor???!!!
Old October 14th, 2014, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

I don't understand sledge.impy, I did replace the crank sensor. Still won't start. Do you mean to replace it again? No thanks. I'm wondering again if it's the ICM. Even though it tested okay off the car, might it still be bad and won't work on the car?
Old October 14th, 2014, 12:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 2002 Impala that would crank intermittently also. While troubleshooting the problem, I removed the crank relay found in the fusebox on the RH strut tower (passenger side) under the hood. The leads on the relay looked really crummy, so I cleaned them and re-installed it. It never failed again in the year and a half afterwards.
Old October 15th, 2014, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Frank3.
I swapped a couple of relays and fuses but still no go. They all looked clean even.
I went ahead and towed it into my reliable, trusted mechanic. I'll post the results when they're done. I still suspect the ICM even though it tested okay when I took it to O'reilleys.
I did save a few hundred dollars by installing new inner and outer tie rods myself on my wife's Town and Country van. It's crazy what AutoTire wants to change those things!
Old October 16th, 2014, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Mechanic called. Low compression in 3 of the cylinders. It is getting spark, but won't start. Looks like it's time to scrap it... sigh.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner

Mechanic called. Low compression in 3 of the cylinders. It is getting spark, but won't start. Looks like it's time to scrap it... sigh.
so how much will it cost you to get another reliable car ? why not try a motor from the junk yard some have install services, BTW just wondering were all 3 cylinders on the same side ?
Old October 24th, 2014, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

He knows of a yard that will install a used, working engine for me for under $2,000 with a 90 day guarantee. I'll ask him about the 3 cylinders. Are you thinking timing belt?
Old October 24th, 2014, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Cylinder 2 = 60#, 4 = 65# and 6 = 100#.
So, yeah, all on the same side.
Old July 16th, 2015, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default i just don't know

I have a 2003 Chevy impala never have had any problems went couple weeks ago got an oil change came home car wouldn't start it was then throwing a knocking sensor and car started I drove it to work it was acting funny by the time I got it home turned off and wouldn't start again turns over but won't start. Then thinking fuel issue changed fuel filter and still won't start unconnected batteries and car started on the second try won't start on first time but second so I just drove it nothing seemed wrong turned it off 20 mins later went to start it and nope. I just don't know I'm being told fuel pump bit I'm thinking electrical. Does anyone else have this issue with the same or car or just an ideawhat it might be