Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2003 Impala Wont start

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2013, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 Impala Wont start

I have been on your forum for 3 days reading and cant seem to find an answer to my problem. So if you guys can help me GREAT!

Here it is... leading up to the problem
I recently bought my 2003 Impala to scoot around in. 1000 bucks good deal. Absolutely nothing wrong with the car. Worked great. Left the lights on while shopping so needed a boost. Car worked perfect for 1day. Then I parked the car and now it wont start. It wont turn over. Its like there is not communication between the ignition and the starter. There is no security issues. The battery is good. The starter is good. Everything in the car works. no engine light nothing. Fuses good.. I was told it might be the Neutral safety switch inside the transmission but I am not spending a grand on the car to "check" if its the issue. I ran a heavy duty wire from the starter to a push button on my dash. Starts on about a 1-2second push. I can run the car no problem, and start it with the push button but the under lying problem has baffled me and the two mechanics that looked at it. Spent about 200 on it just checking the thing out... I think I'm done and will drive as is....

but... Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. There was no indications of any problems leading up to D(ead)-day. Just parked the car like I always do then came out 5hours later and nothing.

I'm thinking short somewhere but it just doesn't make sense. Perhaps one of you gurus know the answer before I dive in and rip the freaking wiring harness out for testing... lol

Last edited by Wesleybb; June 21st, 2013 at 1:45 PM.
Old June 21st, 2013, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

update. After about 1 week and 25 starts with my push button I went into the store and my wife turned on the car that turned on the lights and ac and radio for about 10mins and when I came out the car was dead. So I got a boost now the passlock system is coming on every time I start the car I have to wait ten minutes. I at least know now I have a bad battery and will replace it tomarrow BUT I need to know if the passlock system in coming on every time is the car just going to go dead on me at some point. I have been reading the forums and some say yes some say no... if you have experiance with this let me know please.

thanks in advance
Old June 22nd, 2013, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

Update. Reading on another site that the car will go into security mode if you have a bad battery that has low voltage. Since it died in a matter of 10-15minutes I selected to get a new battery. 5 starts now and no lockout. So that lil problem seems to be temporarily rectified. Still using my push button I installed to start the car. Will run it for a couple months and see how it goes... if all goes well I already purchased a nice looking push button that I'll remount beside the key and leave it at that.

Wish I knew why the damn thing wont start though with the ignition... makes no sense...

again any help would be appreciated.
Old July 1st, 2013, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Found it. Long story short theres a green wire coming from the crank relay fuse box thats connected to a aux battery terminal right beside it. Noticed it was pinched. On closer inspection the wire was cut and so badly corroded it wasnt making a connection. Took it apart replaced it abd VOILA. 100dollars to get it checked out and make a temp fix and the fix cost me 75cents to do properly. Crazy.
The following users liked this post:
ormanyo (January 2nd, 2024)
Old January 2nd, 2024, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into the same issue and am looking to replace this green wire i cant figure out what gauge it is, and is there a fusible link on there as well?

Thanks hopefully this reaches you !
Old January 2nd, 2024, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by ormanyo
Thanks hopefully this reaches you !
It won't. He hasn't visited in a decade.
Please post your own thread including all your vehicle details and troubleshooting. Thanks.