Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2003 Impala won't start wometimes! Help!

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2006, 7:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2003 Impala won't start wometimes! Help!

Hi Guys. Thanks in advance for the help. I have a 2003 Impala LS with the 3800 engine. About once a week, you
jump in the car to start it, everything works except for the starter. It's like it has no current to the starter. Then about
10-15 minutes of swearing and key turning, it goes and works fine for another week. My mechanic originally thought it
was the key switch or the wire going to the starter down the steering column, but checked and said the changed the
design before that year, so it can't be. Does anyone know what this could be? I really like the car except for that.
Old September 19th, 2006, 1:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2003 Impala won't start wometimes! Help!

It still is probably ignition switch related. Check all connections etc. It's probably in there somewhere.
Old April 27th, 2015, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check your manual re: the anti-theft device

I have the same problem at times and there is a built in anti-theft device on some models. In you manual it tells you how to deactivate it but for the life of me I can't figure out how I keep activating it without knowing how I did it.
I'm considering having it disconnected, but I like the feature. Good luck with that.
Old April 27th, 2015, 2:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a similar problem on a 2002 Impala LS, it just would not crank. Found it was in the crank relay found on the RH strut tower fuse center. I did not check to see if it was a bad relay or bad connection as I swapped in another relay from another car, and when it started, I simply got a new relay at the dealer. Never had a problem again.
Old April 27th, 2015, 3:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also look into a faulty BCM Module. When these go bad it can cause no start issues. I had one go bad on a 2001 Impala and my car would not start most of the time. The dealer told me that they replaced many of them due to bad solider joints on the circuit boards.