Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Chevy Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2008, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Thermostat

[X(]Can you please tell me the correct steps to changing the Thermostat on a 2002 Chevy Impala 3.4L. as I will try and do it myself. Thanks
Which components do you have to remove to get at it if any?
Old November 13th, 2008, 5:03 AM
Impala Super Moderator

Default RE: Chevy Thermostat

Get a Haynes Manual. 3.4 is a BITCH
Old November 22nd, 2008, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

3.4L (VIN E) Engine

[*]Partially drain the cooling system.[*]Using hose clamp pliers, reposition the hose clamp at the thermostat housing. Disconnect the radiator hose from the thermostat housing.[*]Remove the exhaust crossover pipe using the following procedure:
[*]Carefully remove the throttle body air duct.[*]Reposition the AIR pipe for access.[*]Remove the exhaust crossover heat shield bolts and remove the heat shield.[*]Remove the crossover bolts and lift the crossover from the engine.[*]Remove the thermostat housing bolts and remove the thermostat from the engine. Discard the gasket.
Thermostat arrangement—3.4L (VIN E) engine[/align][/ol][/ol]
To install:
[*]Clean all parts well. Make sure the sealing surfaces on both the thermostat housing gasket flange and the intake manifold are clean and free of corrosion damage. It is good practice to run a thread cutting tap or a clean bolt into the threaded holes in the manifold to clean out old sealer and dirt. The threads should be clean so the thermostat cover clamps the gasket evenly at assembly.[*]Position the thermostat in the intake manifold. Make sure it is seated.[*]Install the thermostat housing and bolts. Torque the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).[*]Connect the hoses and reposition the clamps.[*]Install the exhaust crossover pipe. Torque the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).[*]Install the exhaust crossover pipe heat shield and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).[*]Install the AIR pipe.[*]Install the throttle body air duct.[*]Refill the engine with the proper mix of DEX-COOL®and water. Check for leaks.[/ol]
Old December 8th, 2008, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

Hello, i have a 2000 Monte Carlo (3.4l)and I'm having the same problem. How many bolts do i have to remove to disconnect the exhaust heat shield and the exhaust crossover pipe? The bolts that i see on mine seems very difficult to access. Hope to hear back from someone soon. Thanks
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Impala Super Moderator

CFrank, thats a very good diagram. Great find