Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

2004 Impala Cluster panel problems??

Old November 28th, 2007, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Impala Cluster panel problems??

Mygirlfriend hasa 2004 Impala and all my gauges on the cluster panel quit working, it started with the temp and speedometer, then this week the gas gauge quit. The speedometer starts at 60 somethimes and seems to be correct if you subtract the the starting point while going down the road. Is the a problem with Impala's? Also, if I replaced the cluster panel myself, would the milage update on its on or will a dealer have to do that?

Thanks,
Corey
Old November 30th, 2007, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2004 Impala Cluster panel problems??

Corey, I have the same issue with my 04 and posted this question a week ago.

https://chevroletforum.com/m_48731/tm.htm

I received a letter from Chevy for my 03 Silverado describing the same problem. The letter was very specific that they were not announcing a recall, but if you had to take your truck in to be fixed, they would reimburse you. I only get those letters because I bought the truck new. My Impala was used, so it probably wont get the same courtesy. Because it isn't an actual "recall", it won't get listed. I tried to call the number to Chevy from the back of my truck letter, but the answering service was specific to Silverado’s and I was on hold for 45 minutes. I eventually ran out of time/patience and hung up.

Who can Corey and I contact to report this and maybe get a recall announced? I am willing to bet that the defective part in Silverado's has the same S/N as the failed part in our Impalas.

-Daane

Old December 4th, 2007, 2:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Same thing happened to my 04. But luckily I was under warranty at the time so Chevy replaced it no charge.[sm=shades.gif] I wouldn't reccomend changing that yourself. Your mileage will probably be off. And any other computer changes will be lost.
Old December 10th, 2007, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Im having the exact same issue with my 05 Impala as well. I called the dealer and they told me a recall may go out but I could bring it in and if the recall came out later I could get it reimbursed.

Quick fix/things ive noticed.

When the engine is warmed up; the problem isn't as bad. Also; if you turn your ignition key to acc and back; it will bring the needle back down to 0 if you do it over and over; then you can start at 0 with the car warmed and have less of an issue; still decelerates in a jerky way but gives you a better Idea of what's going on.
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

It is not just 04s. I have an 03 cavalier and when I got it, it was used and the speedometer worked only when it wanted to. When you stop, the speedometer stopped. I have searched the internet and found that this is a common problem, but when I asked chevy, they said that they hadn't had enough complains for a recall. I called a local dealer and found out that a replacement was $500, which is too much for a college student. I'm still not clear where the mileage is stored, in fact, I've seen some people say it is stored in the BCM, but in later models it was stored in the cluster. I've also seen that it goes downhill from there. I put gas in the car and the fuel gauge went ballistic. It went past full and over to the temperature gauge and that is where I am today.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

my son has a 2004 Impala LS - and the gas gauge is the one going nuts.

It will be all over the place.... sometimes the reset with the toggle of off/on will work after several tries - but not always -

Where was the thread about what was wrong, or the recall notice, or anything that will help to explain this erratic behaviour. It seems like the stepper motor is not always working. We tend to use the trip odo as the gas gauge, along with the overhead console and "range".

--- here is what else I found ----

How much would a dealer charge for changing out the steppers ?
Seems like the labor charge for working with the dash would be $$$$

This is a chronic problem with several 2003-6 Chevy models like yours.Chevy issued a recall on the 2003 and 2004 models but not the 2005\and 2006 models.The problem is with the stepper motor in the instrument cluster. The problem lies with the plastic material that holds the permanent magnet for the rotor of the stepper motor. This plastic that hold the magnet also comprises the main gear for the gear assembly that rotates the needle. Well, this plastic breaks and because of the break it bends and jams the gear which then can't rotate to the proper pulses from the computer. This gear assembly is part of the stepper motor so the whole motor has to be replaced, it is soldered in the main circuit board for the instrument cluster. The problem is so common, that replacement (Switec X25.168) motors are readily available on eBay.

Last edited by ps56k; November 22nd, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old December 6th, 2009, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

the pasanger side temperature control light is out on my 2005 Impala, can that be changed out.
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2004 Impala Instrument Cluster

I just spoke to the Dealer and they said it is not a re call or any service bulletin on this. There is a TSB on the noise from the step motor but they say it is an acceptable level and does not affect performance..

HELP.....

Can anyone help with cluster repair?? Cluster removal? Removal pictures? Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks for helping the new guy.

Kevin
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Possible way to force a recall on instrument cluster <hr size="1" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Just got off the phone with GM. I was informed that if enough people filed a complaint directly as I just did they will do a recall on the defective instrument panels/ cluster. You just have to call GM with your vin number and describe the issue.

The number to call is GM Chevrolet @ 1800-222-1020

posting complaints online don't do anything. They need to have it on file from calls and complaints directly from vehicle owners .

So please call and lets get this defective part recalled.

They will even reimburse for any related work done to your vehicle minus labor costs. FYI: I own a 2004 Impala LS.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:21 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

I had the same problem several years ago with an 03 Trailblazer. Chevrolet told me there was a recall on this but did not include the Trailblazer. They wanted $600 to replace the cluster. I did some research and learned how to fix it myself. I bought the stepper motors on Ebay and soldered them in myself. Turned out to be not very difficult. If you can solder then you can do it and save a lot of money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Impala Cluster panel problems??