Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2005 Chevy Impala Gas Leak Help

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2014, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Chevy Impala Gas Leak Help

I have a 2005 Chevy Impala and smelled gas the inline filter was changed above the gas tank. They dropped the gas tank yesterday and changed the inline filter above it. When husband brought car home i went to use it and gas was low lost alot of gas and it was under the car in a puddle under vapor canister. The vapor canister was wet and the gas looks to be leaking from there. So now my car is even worse cannot drive it as before just gas smell small hole in inline filter. I have never heard of gas being able to go into vapor canister did something happen when they dropped gas tank and changed inline filter maybe not put back together right or bumped and damaged something.
Old July 16th, 2014, 1:01 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not fool around and try to drive it. With gas leaking you have a fire hazard. Unless things have changed between model years, when I changed the fuel filter on my 2001 Impala, the filter was down by the frame rail and did not require me to drop the tank. If the tank was dropped, yes, it is possible it was not put back together correctly, it's possible that they may have left out or cut an "O" ring in the process of disassembly then reassembly. As for mis-connecting the hoses, the hoses were different sizes. You shouldn't have liquid fuel coming out of the vapor canister. How are the fuel lines? Nice and clean or really rusty? If really rusty, I suppose a hole of crack could be put in the metal lines. On the HARD plastic ones, there was a warning not to bend or kink them as the same thing could happen.