Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2005 Impala engine type/size

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2016, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Impala engine type/size

hi, my first post, I have found a 2005 Impala with 110K miles for $1500, it will be my first chevy in a while, my concern is the reliablity of the V6 engine (intake manifold gaskets), the vin has a "K" as the eighth character, does this signify the larger 3.8 engine? Is that prone to gasket failures as they say the 3.4 engines were, any advice is appreciated
Old March 2nd, 2016, 9:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

it will say the engine displacement on the underhood identification label.

the 3.8 were better than the 3.4 but still had intake gasket and coolant elbow problems.
they have new update metal intake gaskets and metal coolant elbows that will last a very long time without issues.

my 04 3.8 s/c had leaking intake manifold gaskets, valve cover, water pump, oil pan, axles seals when I got it Never seen a headgasket go on the 3.8. Never seen a oil consumption problem. Some trans problems if not maintained.

Fixed mine and the engine runs great at 230 000 kilometers. the engine is very reliable but expect a few leaking seals, gaskets and worn suspension components.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 1:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a 2001 Impala with the 3.8L and had no issues with Intake or Head Gaskets. I put 200,000 Miles on that car. The 3.8 is a very reliable proven engine.