Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2009 Impala 3.5L-180k miles-only oil changes, no probs, what should I have checked?

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2017, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Impala 3.5L-180k miles-only oil changes, no probs, what should I have checked?

I have a 2009 Impala with a 3.5L that my grandpa owned and only drove on long trips. I've put 40k miles on it now so it sits at 180k miles. No issues what so ever. Always changed the oil every 3k miles. Anything I should have checked out?

My concerns:

timing chains? Any indication when/if they need to be changed?

Tranny fluid has never been changed. Is it hard to get to the tranny fluid filter? How do I know what tranny I have? I've read that the 4 speed transmission is prone to failure.

Coolant flush? i know overtime, electrolysis can cause corrosion in the cooling system. Not sure if it's ever been changed.

This car is in immaculate condition (no rust, and driven very easy). I want to get 300k+ miles on it if possible. Is there anything else I should be aware of that is problematic with this year of impala?
Old April 20th, 2017, 7:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

its definitely due for trans and coolant changes.
there is no service interval for the timing chain. best way to maintain this engine is prompt oil changes at 3-4 thousand miles...do not follow the oil life monitor.

when the cel does come on; get it repaired. Its a decent vehicle, prone to leaks, axle seals, coolant cross over gaskets, trans lines, p/s lines, p/s rack. Engine is solid.
Old April 20th, 2017, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah I never follow the oil light on any vehicle. So at the 200k mi mark I shouldn't just bite the bullet and take it in to have the timing chains replaced whether it needs it or not? I really hate just leaving it up in the air. Is there any warning that they are starting to go? Sounds, idling, etc?

>coolant cross over gaskets,
So is this just coolant leaking into the motor? Does a new head gasket fix this?

Also, do you know if changing the transmission fluid filter is a PITA? Someone told me the tranny has to be dropped....
Old April 20th, 2017, 7:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I'm not sure which trans it has. 4t60e will have a pan than can be dropped and the filter changed. no big deal. you will get about half of the trans fluid out with a pan drop.

timing chains were an issue on the 3.6 engines but not the 3.9. the 3.6 would chains would stretch and set cam/crank correlation codes. the chains wouldn't break. I would not worry about the chains. I wouldn't change them but if it makes you sleep better go for it.
the coolant cross over has nothing to do with the headgasket. its an aluminum casting at the front of the motor that allows coolant to flow between the heads
Old April 20th, 2017, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
I'm not sure which trans it has. 4t60e will have a pan than can be dropped and the filter changed. no big deal. you will get about half of the trans fluid out with a pan drop.

timing chains were an issue on the 3.6 engines but not the 3.9. the 3.6 would chains would stretch and set cam/crank correlation codes. the chains wouldn't break. I would not worry about the chains. I wouldn't change them but if it makes you sleep better go for it.
the coolant cross over has nothing to do with the headgasket. its an aluminum casting at the front of the motor that allows coolant to flow between the heads
How could I tell what transmission it has? I actually have the 3.5L not the 3.6. Sounds like if something starts to get out of line, that the computer will pick up on it as a warning, usually. Probably good enough for me. It's had oil changes at 3k miles since it was new so I'm sure it's fine.