Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2005 Impala ignition

Old May 12th, 2016, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Impala ignition

My key won't turn in my ignition, if it is my cylinder can i replace the tumblers on the new clyinder with the old ones to continue using my old key?

Last edited by eaglescout55; May 12th, 2016 at 5:02 PM.
Old May 12th, 2016, 7:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you can have the new lock cylinder coded to match the original.

inspect your keys. it is more likely the key is worn. if the edge of the key is gold and the silver is worn off...the key is worn out.
try a second key if you have it.

if you want to see if a new key will work...have them cut a not transponder key blank as it is cheap...if it works get the proper transponder key cut. if you get a new key cut....have it cut using a code....do not trace the old worn out key.
Old May 12th, 2016, 8:43 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tech2
you can have the new lock cylinder coded to match the original.

inspect your keys. it is more likely the key is worn. if the edge of the key is gold and the silver is worn off...the key is worn out.
try a second key if you have it.

if you want to see if a new key will work...have them cut a not transponder key blank as it is cheap...if it works get the proper transponder key cut. if you get a new key cut....have it cut using a code....do not trace the old worn out key.
2005 Impala uses a transponder key? I didn't think that happened until the next gen in 2006 so what year did that start?

Other than that...+1 on getting the key cut to the VIN but shame on anyone that doesn't have at least 2 keys.
Old May 13th, 2016, 8:14 AM
Super Moderator

my 04 w body uses passkey3 which is a transponder system. check your key for a + mark or pk3 stamped in the blade of the key.

Last edited by tech2; May 13th, 2016 at 8:24 AM.
Old May 16th, 2016, 11:48 PM
CF Active Member

My Impala is a 2000, no markings on the blade, basically just a metal detector ring on the ignition cylinder. So what you are saying is that GM didn't use the same system throughout the life of the 7th gen? So all those people trying to do the bypass have 2000 through what year?

Now on my 2005 Venture it has PK3...which wouldn't have been around at the start of the that one...didn't even think about that before.
Old May 18th, 2016, 8:28 PM
Super Moderator

I just assumed it would be like mine but I could be mistaken.
Old May 19th, 2016, 11:42 PM
CF Active Member

Just proves that even with GM that while the cars look the same for a handful of years they are making changes instead of waiting for the next model.

Your info should be good for the OP though, he has a 2005.

Search this Thread