Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2006 impala ls GAS KILLER WORST MPG HELP

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2011, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2006 impala ls GAS KILLER WORST MPG HELP

hello I have a 2006 impala ls with 98132 miles on it . I purchased it used and its been eating gas . From what I have read the car has a 17 gallon tank and I s hould get atleast21-24 street . I filled up and today I'm on e It has 238 miles used on this trip . 238/17=14mpg ..we all know tthats really bad . I have the 3.5 and my jeep 4.7 v8 got better gas mileage . What all should I do check or change to atleast get the vehicle to normal mileage
Old August 18th, 2011, 2:38 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The best fuel economy possible is the direct result of proper maintenance and good driving habits. Listed below are GM's recommendations to achieve the best mileage possible. The first group includes things to consider for your vehicle, while the second are tips relating to your driving habits.

1. Always keep your tires inflated to the proper pressure as shown on the vehicle placard. This not only serves to increase gas mileage but cuts down on tire wear, further decreasing your costs per mile.

2. A vehicle that has a dirty air filter can’t efficiently draw air into the engine. This restriction forces the engine to expend energy to "breathe" wasting fuel in the process. Change recommendations are found in your vehicle Owner’s Manual.

3. Always use the proper viscosity oil in your engine. Oil that has a higher than required viscosity will create more drag on the internal components of the engine causing more work for it, especially when cold. Each Owner’s Manual contains information on the proper type of oil for your vehicle. Look for the "starburst" symbol on the front of the bottle, and the SM rating on the API circle on the back label. If you are in doubt, stop by your dealer for an oil change, and any other services required. Most current GM vehicles are equipped with oil life monitors to further assist on the "when" to change your oil.

Note: GM Vehicles DO NOT require additional engine oil additives. Some additives may cause harmful effects to the internal seals and additionally void the terms of your vehicles New Car Warranty.

4. Top Tier Detergent fuels are preferable when and where available. They help to keep your fuel injectors and intake valves free of deposits. When Top Tier fuels are not available, consider a bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N# 88861011 (in Canada, #88861012), at oil change time which will remove intake system and injector deposits. GM does not recommend any other fuel system cleaner.

Note: DO NOT confuse Top Tier Fuels with Higher Octane (Plus/Premium Grade Fuel) commonly sold at most all gas stations.

5. Using higher octane fuels in a vehicle that only required regular unleaded fuel will neither increase performance nor improve gas mileage. In all cases refer to your owner’s manual and ONLY use the octane rated fuel recommended for your vehicle.

Note: In high performance GM vehicles that DO require Premium (91 octane or higher) fuel, you MUST use fuels of at least this octane.

6. Is the Check Engine/SES light on? When the computer lights the Check Engine/SES light it has lost some ability to run efficiently. This may result in increased fuel consumption, increased emissions, and/or drivability concerns.

7. Even though current GM vehicles have 100,000 mi (160,000 km) service intervals for spark plugs if your vehicle is at that point in its life, have the spark plugs changed to assure proper running and continued efficient, trouble free operation.

8. Avoid quick/full throttle acceleration from a standstill in town and high cruising speeds on the interstates. While the optimum MPG for highway cruising speed varies from vehicle to vehicle, faster is almost always worse. If your vehicle is equipped with a Driver Information Center that displays Instant Fuel Economy, select that readout and vary your cruising speed while on the highway. The display will change continuously with uphill and downhill sections but you should quickly be able to identify on level ground the speed range that your vehicle does the best in.

9. Avoid leaving unnecessary items in your trunk. It takes power to move increased weight and that means more gasoline consumption and reduced performance. While the change may be slight, multiplied by thousands of miles, it all adds up.

10. Idling wastes fuel.

11. Your vehicle uses much more fuel when the engine is cold. This is especially true in the winter months when the engine will take the longest to warm up. Combine errands or trips so that the vehicle only needs to warm up once to encompass many different stops.

If you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by xowiickedox
hello I have a 2006 impala ls with 98132 miles on it . I purchased it used and its been eating gas . From what I have read the car has a 17 gallon tank and I s hould get atleast21-24 street . I filled up and today I'm on e It has 238 miles used on this trip . 238/17=14mpg ..we all know tthats really bad . I have the 3.5 and my jeep 4.7 v8 got better gas mileage . What all should I do check or change to atleast get the vehicle to normal mileage

The first thing you should do is forget that 17 gallon number! All cars (almost) have a reserve built into the gas gauge. Ignore the 17 gallon figure and use the actal gallons you put back into the tank. That amount is how much fuel you actually used (assuming that you filled it up before resetting the trip odometer).
Check again and see what you are really getting for mileage.
Old August 29th, 2011, 12:38 AM
CF Beginner

ok will do cause this vehicle really gets worst mileage than my v8 jeep lol
Old January 16th, 2012, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xowiickedox

I have a 06 impala and it's nothing special that the car drinks up gas quickly. I have a 3.5L V6 and on regular gas it goes 16-17 miles city and 20-21 highway. On E85 it does 14 mil city and 18 highway. When u click on the top button nxt to the speed odometer it will tell u average fuel economy is 14.1 miles city.

And one other thing, does ur impala still have that ding-ding sound after u start it up? Cause mine is messed up. I made it louder but it barely sounds.
Old February 4th, 2012, 1:58 AM
CF Beginner

As Bob said, first, fill up the tank, and set your trip odo to zero. Then, when you fill up again, check your trip odomoter to see how many miles you went on that tank, and divide by the number of gallons you needed to refill the tank.

My 2002 with the 3.8 engine gets around 20 in normal driving, closer to 25 on the highway.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

I have been using a fuel enhancer called XP3 in my 2007 Impalla LTZ. Although it is only supposed to get 26 mpg highway when new, I got 28.9 mpg last week when I drove from Minneapolis to Chicago last week. During the trip, the car turned over 100,000 miles. Not only did the mpg go up, but the car also runs much better.

product information can be found here:

FuelDirect
Old October 23rd, 2012, 5:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I_Love_My_Impalla
I have been using a fuel enhancer called XP3 in my 2007 Impalla LTZ. Although it is only supposed to get 26 mpg highway when new, I got 28.9 mpg last week when I drove from Minneapolis to Chicago last week. During the trip, the car turned over 100,000 miles. Not only did the mpg go up, but the car also runs much better.

product information can be found here:

FuelDirect
I would not add anything to the fuel other than what GM recommends.

To each their own,but these fuel additives and others have been debunked numerous times over the years and were proven a waste of money.

Your increased mileage is probably due to the long stretch of highway driving and nothing more.

Just saying
Old October 25th, 2012, 1:01 AM
CF Veteran

Have you done the recommended maintenance on your Imp? Plugs, wires, O2 Sensor, transmission fluid/filter change, etc. Also this year tranny has different gears and tends to lug in OD. I get 22 to 24 in town depending on A/C usage. Mine has 90+ on the clock too.
Old October 25th, 2012, 4:16 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for this article. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases.Thanks!

Mac Cosmetics Outlet Cheap Moncler Jackets Tiffany & Co Outlet

Beats Dr Dre Giacche Belstaff

Quick Reply: 2006 impala ls GAS KILLER WORST MPG HELP