Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2006 keyless entry problem

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2016, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 keyless entry problem

First time on board glad I found this site because I need help. Just brought a 2006 LT and the remote doesn't work unless you are about 10 feet from the car. New battery in remote an cleaned the contacts inside of it. Other remote that came with the car won't do anything. I took it to the dealer an it tested ok. It also has a new battery and contracts cleaned. I have the instructions on re-programing the remotes from the sticky. The one works so would re-programing it help any? Any ideas on what to do? Thanks
Old March 21st, 2016, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

I re-programed the remotes and they work now. But is it normal for them to only work when you are within 10 feet of the car? My Dodge truck will work over 200' away.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:24 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just like with any radio, reception depend on the antenna and in this case, the remote is the transmitter and the car is the receiver. While looking this up, I ran across a TSB that lists some of the symptoms you are seeing. I would check the antenna and grounds to make sure everything is positioned properly and connections tight.

================================================== =================

Subject: Remote Keyless Entry (Inop/Intermittent Function) or Tire Pressure Monitor Concerns - keywords fob RCDLR RKE RVS TIMS TPM transmitter vehicle #PIC3764J - (09/08/2006)

Models: 2006-2007 Buick Lucerne
2006-2007 Cadillac DTS
2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo
2007 Cadillac Escalade Models
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe, Equinox
2007 GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Models
2007 Pontiac Torrent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI has been updated to have the latest and most efficient information on the RCDLR concerns. Please discard PIC3764H.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
The vehicle may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:

• The RCDLR and RKE Transmitters will not function after the serial data bus has gone to sleep.

• Intermittently inoperative Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) - A condition of intermittent operation of the RKE transmitters (key fobs) has been identified. The RKE transmitter rolling codes may become out of synchronization with the RCDLR and cause an intermittent operation of the door lock/unlock feature or remote start.

• Poor RKE range and/or Service Tire Monitor System message

• RKE inoperative after programming any module on the vehicle

• New RKE transmitters cannot be programmed

The RKE and Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) are functions of the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) with the exception of the 2006 Lucerne which uses the EBCM since there are no tire pressure sensors mounted inside the wheels.

Recommendation/Instructions:
RCDLR and RKE Transmitters Will Not Function After the Serial Data Bus Has Gone to Sleep:
Open the door to wake up the serial data bus, then verify the RCDLR functions normally.
The correction at this time is to remove the fuse that powers the RCDLR and then reinstall the fuse. A software revision will be implemented and available in the near future.
Note: Do NOT replace any parts or attempt a reflash to correct the condition as this will not correct this concern.

Intermittently Inoperative Remote Keyless Entry (RKE):
Verify the synchronization concern by relearning the transmitters to the vehicle.
If the transmitter operation returns to normal following the relearn function the correction would be to reprogram the RCDLR with the latest software calibration.
If the transmitter operation does not return to normal then replace the transmitters with current SPO stock. All old stock has been purged. Do NOT replace the RCDLR or BCM for this condition.

Poor RKE Range and/or Service Tire Monitor System (TPM lost individual sensor data) (Applies to Car models only):
Follow the diagnostic system check, are there any related DTCs? Are there any DTCs in the RCDLR? If yes follow published diagnostics.
Verify External Antenna Coax connections at the RCDLR and at the glass.
Check for proper coax ground attachment of the antenna cable.
If all checks OK secure the ground attachment on the coax with a self tapping screw, securing it to the A pillar (Impala and Monte Carlo Only).
If securing the ground attachment on the coax does not restore the RKE range replace the RCDLR and follow programming and setup procedures.
Note: Verify you are using TIS to Web or the latest TIS calibrations so the RCDLR will be programmed with the updated software.

RKE becomes inoperative while programming another module on the vehicle:
? This may occur during programming of any module on the vehicle or from normal operation.

Do not replace the RCDLR.

Remove and replace the fuse that powers the RCDLR to restore communications.

New RKE Transmitters Will Not Program or Inoperative:
Press Lock, Unlock and Panic together and hold for 3-5 seconds.
Perform transmitter learn procedure.
Verify all functions. This can be done using the scan tool and monitoring the transmitter commands.
If programming is unsuccessful replace transmitters.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

OK thanks Frank3! I will check the antenna ground. Can you tell me were the RCDLR is?
Old April 1st, 2016, 12:01 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for the delay, it's been really busy around here.... I have never replaced the RCDLR, BUT I googled the replacement of how to do it, and if you read through the procedure below, it sounds like it is in the dash.

Important

- The 2006 and 2007 Impala LS without AP8 does not have a coax antenna.
- The 2006 and 2007 Lucerne without AP3 or AP8 does not have a coax antenna.

1. Replace the RCDLR module and the RCDLR antenna using the following procedure: Impala / Monte Carlo 1. Remove the driver's side "A" pillar molding and I/P closeout panel.
2. Unplug the speaker.
3. To expose the RCDLR antenna, partially remove the driver's side upper I/P closeout panel (near windshield).
4. Remove the clips holding the RCDLR antenna wire at the RCDLR module and along the "A" pillar.
5. Cut the old RCDLR antenna wire a minimum of 152 mm (6 in) from the button (connecting to the windshield), leaving that portion of the old RCDLR antenna connected to the windshield.
6. Remove the I/P carrier bolt and remove the old RCDLR antenna.
7. Remove the RCDLR module.
8. Install the new RCDLR module.
9. Lay in the new RCDLR antenna and reinstall the carrier bolt.
10. Connect the new antenna to the RCDLR antenna module.
11. Clip the new RCDLR antenna into place using the existing holes on the "A" pillar.
12. Reinstall the I/P close-out panel.
13. Reconnect the speaker wire.

Important
Be sure that the end of the old RCDLR antenna is tucked behind the "A" pillar molding. The button on the windshield is no longer functional, however leaving the cover on the button will provide a cleaner look to the vehicle.

14. Reinstall the "A" pillar molding and I/P side closeout panel.
Old November 20th, 2021, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

Hello...
I was looking around for answers to the problem described here, which I'm having with the '06 Monte I recently bought. I have to practically be on top of the car to get the fob to work. I had just bought a new one thinking the one I had was crap... but the new one might be a little worse.

Are the RCDLR's made today free of whatever problem was plaguing them? Can anybody recommend one?

Glad to be on a new forum! Thanks everyone.