Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2007 Chevy Impala Police Car Issue

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2013, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Chevy Impala Police Car Issue

Hi everyone!

I have a 2007 Impala Police Car. Last night when leaving school I noticed what sounded like a whining noise. It got louder as I accelerated and then when the car shifted gears it would go back down. As I would drive faster I couldn't hear it as much but I was on the freeway so I am sure that had something to do with it. I figured maybe it was the transmission (please no!), but when I popped the hood and had my wife step on the gas while in park, it sounded like the noise was coming from the belt area. Here is a picture...

I can't directly locate the sound (bar hearing) but it seems to be coming from somewhere between the arrows. I noticed the top is the power steering pump and to the right in the picture is the Idler pully? I think... The power steering fluid was filled and still looks new. The car does not make noise when turning sharp. Just accelerating.

Just to add, the car does not feel sluggish when taking off or anything. It hasn't effected driving at all from what I have noticed. Just the noise is present.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks!
Old November 22nd, 2013, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like it. Never had an issue until now.

I did not try any of those, but it doesn't really sound like air. Almost like a bearing or something.

I will certainly try to look for air leaks though. Hopefully it is that easy.