Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2007 Impala TPMS issue

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2012, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Impala TPMS issue

I have a 2007 Impala. Just had the tires replaced and a allignment. The tire dealer didn't reset the TPMS so I attempted to do it myself according to the owner's manual. Despite several attempts, I couldn't get all four sensors to reset (got three once!). Now, the "service TPMS" warning comes on everytime I start the car and the little flat tire light stays on while driving the car. I've been told, and from personal experience with shops dealers, that resolving the problem at a shop, will probably be over $500.....seems every repair starts at $500 and goes up from there! My question is this: will not repairing the TPMS really going to result in additional problems? I really don't want to spent several hundred dollars on something I didn't need for the first 40 years I've been driving.
Old January 6th, 2012, 3:42 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> It may be possible that one of the TPMS sensors are missing or not operating correctly. If so, the "Service TPMS" error message will display. Another possibility is the use of tire sealant, like Fix-A-Flat. It can damage the TPMS sensors. If a tire sealant was used before have the tires replaced, it is possible that a sensor may have been damaged. These are merely suggestions, not a diagnosis. For an official diagnosis, I encourage you to visit a certified technician.

You may also want to go back to the tire dealer to have the TPMS reset.

It is recommended that the TPMS is in working order, for your convenience and safety. Additional problems are possible if the tires are not maintained regularly.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 6th, 2012, 9:23 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a bad sensor. The sensor is around $80.00. The only labor charge should be to mount and balance the tire. Go buy the sensor yourself then take it back to the tire shop tell them it worked before they did tires. If they are a reputable shop they may do it free or discounted. Then you can go about reprograming it yourself.
Old January 6th, 2012, 9:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember another member having the same sort of problem, i.e., the TPMS learn using the DIC not working. He took it back to the tire shop and they were able to take care of it with the TPMS tool.

What the owner's manual doesn't tell you is, the sensor is on a 30-second polling cycle and thus it will not transmit immediately. The trick is to let the air out for 5-10 seconds (minimum 1 psi) and then patiently wait for the horn chirp which may be delayed up to 30 seconds.

As for living with the "Service TPMS" warning, it has no bearing on the operation of the vehicle. However, it may be an issue in those states that have vehicle inspection programs.
Old April 4th, 2013, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Experiencing difficulties with the TPMS in my 2007 Impala ... recently had the tires rotated and now the warning light comes on saying 'Service TPMS' ... equally as interesting, the right side is reversed ... front tire reacts to the rear and visa versa.
Old November 7th, 2013, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Question Tpms

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> It may be possible that one of the TPMS sensors are missing or not operating correctly. If so, the "Service TPMS" error message will display. Another possibility is the use of tire sealant, like Fix-A-Flat. It can damage the TPMS sensors. If a tire sealant was used before have the tires replaced, it is possible that a sensor may have been damaged. These are merely suggestions, not a diagnosis. For an official diagnosis, I encourage you to visit a certified technician.

You may also want to go back to the tire dealer to have the TPMS reset.

It is recommended that the TPMS is in working order, for your convenience and safety. Additional problems are possible if the tires are not maintained regularly.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

I have a 2007 Impala and the display tells me to check the left rear tire, and sometimes the right rear tire. Sometimes it says to check both of them. The tire pressures when checked show they are correct, but it constantly does this. Every once in a while the tire symbol goes out, sometimes it comes on... What's the deal??

Last edited by rmcvay; November 7th, 2013 at 5:30 PM. Reason: Typo
Old November 8th, 2013, 9:24 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

rmcvay,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern. Please private message me your name, VIN, and dealership so I can look into this further for you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 24th, 2014, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

It seems I just experienced this very same thing. Going down the highway and it said to check left rear tire. I panicked, I went to check the pressure and the left rear went from 2lbs up to 69 lbs. I pulled over and looked, checked with a tire pressure gauge and it had 34 lbs. Now when I left the gauge staying on the rear tire pressure, it eventually leveled out to 34 lbs on both tires. After putting it back on mileage it started all over again. I just watch a video on how to re-set the sensors on a 2006 impala, will this be the same? I have not changed anything or rotated the tires (which I was about to do soon)
If I rotate tires and it's a bad sensor then it will end up on the front left,right? Could hitting a pot hole break a tire pressure sensor?
Not sure what to do?