Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2008 Impala engine oil light and loud bell, help please

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2011, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 Impala engine oil light and loud bell, help please

Hi, newbie here. Today our 2008 Impala with dual fuel v6 running on gas (never run on anything else) started sounding a loud clanging bell and a "low oil pressure, stop engine" light came on. Outside air temp about 85 degrees. Driving about 70 on the interstate.

There were no strange clatters from engine. Oil is full and recently changed. No leaks underneath. Car runs well and didn't lose power ever. It didn't overheat.

If we stopped the car and shut it off, it might stop the warning for a while and then start the clanging and the light again. If we slowed way down to maybe 5 - 10 mph it might stop clanging the bell and showing the light but maybe not.

Finally I pulled over and called a tow truck. Right now the car is sitting at a Chevy dealer. I couldn't risk blowing an engine.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this - like, is this something that's known for these cars? I'm afraid an unknown dealer may take me to the cleaners when it's just a sensor or something.

All ideas and suggestions appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited by Gunner3456; July 4th, 2011 at 10:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyGeeWhiz (December 26th, 2023)
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Well, just reporting back. The Chevy dealer just called and it's only the sensor. Total charge including diagnostics is $160. We also paid $160 for the tow.

I feel as if it's my lucky day.
Old July 6th, 2011, 1:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Gunner3456,

I’m sorry I did not see your post sooner. I am glad to hear that it was just a sensor and that your vehicle is fixed. If this issue happens again, please message me.

Thank you,
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 7th, 2011, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Gunner3456,

I’m sorry I did not see your post sooner. I am glad to hear that it was just a sensor and that your vehicle is fixed. If this issue happens again, please message me.

Thank you,
Thanks Elizabeth, I sure will.

I do want to say this and I hope I'm allowed to. We were out of town on the freeway and had the car towed to the nearest Chevy Dealer. It was Jim Sigal Chevrolet in Grants Pass Oregon. I was worried about getting "ripped off" but the people couldn't have been better to us. They were fast, honest, friendly, and calling several times to keep me informed.

This happened on Sunday, the day before Monday the Fourth of July so they didn't open until Tues. Morning. They had us on our way with even a fresh oil change because we were almost due, by noon that same day. (Tues.) The total bill not counting towing wound up being $185 including diagnostics, repair, and service.

They are only about 40 miles from our home and they will sell us our next car even though we have 2 Chevy dealers closer, in our own bigger town.

Cliff
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Official GM Rep

Gunner3456,

Of course you are allowed to express whatever feelings you have about a dealership whether they are bad or good. I am glad that you have good feelings toward this dealership. It is nice to know that the dealership helped you out tremendously even though you weren’t locals. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Old November 7th, 2012, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil pressure warning light

I seem to be having a very similar problem with my 2008 Impala LT. When I come to a stop sometimes, the low oil pressure light and bell will activate, then quit once I accelerate and am moving again. Just recently, it has started doing it while the car is in motion and can only be quieted by turning off the car and restarting.
Old November 8th, 2012, 5:40 AM
CF Beginner

This is what ours was doing when it was the sensor. At first the engine could be turned off and restarted to reset it. (We were traveling several hundred miles toward home.) After a time that no longer worked so we called for a tow.

If it's cheap enough, you might just replace that sensor (sending unit we used to call it) yourself. It's been a while as you can see, but I think the part was $60 a the Chevy dealer. I don't know if an independent store would have it cheaper.
Old November 9th, 2012, 2:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by waltad
I seem to be having a very similar problem with my 2008 Impala LT. When I come to a stop sometimes, the low oil pressure light and bell will activate, then quit once I accelerate and am moving again. Just recently, it has started doing it while the car is in motion and can only be quieted by turning off the car and restarting.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> waltad,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue. It is possible you are experiencing a similar issue as "Gunner3456" was. To be certain, I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to offer additional information after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

If you need additional assistance in finding a technician in your area, or have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 10th, 2012, 6:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by waltad
I should have added that you know a low oil pressure warning could be for real, and therefore could result in the loss of the engine. That's why we had the tow. I didn't think the pressure was low because usually I could reset the sensor, and also I didn't hear a sound like valve train clatter or knocking or anything else. There was no rise in engine heat.

However, I didn't and wouldn't drive a car with that warning going off if I couldn't reset the electronics. I have no idea what a new engine installed would cost but it would be many, many thousands. I would never let a local shop rebuild an engine so I'd be ordering a factory rebuild or a new long block. Ouch.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Pressure, Stop Engine warning and bell

I have a 2008 Impala with over 208,000 miles on it and the Low Oil light, stop engine, light and warning came on. I stopped the car and checked the oil level and it was fine. Got back on the road and drove several miles before the light came on again but it stopped after just a few minutes after I slowed down. Was able to get home without any other warnings maybe because I kept it under 50 mph. Any recommendations?

Quick Reply: 2008 Impala engine oil light and loud bell, help please