Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2008 Impala LT - Wet Floor - Driver's Side Only

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2015, 9:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 Impala LT - Wet Floor - Driver's Side Only

I just bought this car used and lifted the driver's side floor mat only to find it completely soaked. I ran a mix of A/C and heat for a couple days and then completely shut off the A/C after doing some reading. The floor almost completely dried up until it started to become slightly wet again!

The other parts of the floor are completely dry and I can't seem to locate anything leaking around the wet area of the driver's side floor. It seems to be only near the deepest inset part of the floor. What do I do?!
Old October 20th, 2015, 9:56 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Couple questions, has it been raining or have you driven through water or are you thinking the moisture is solely coming from the operation of the AC unit?
Old October 20th, 2015, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

It rained for a couple days last week when I first got it last Thursday. It hasn't really rained since about Saturday so it makes me want to rule out rain unless water can get trapped somewhere and slowly drain onto the driver's side floor.

In the end of those couple of days I used a lot of the gas station paper towels and soaked up a lot of water. It was non-stop but eventually went from saturated to just damp after three times. Used a towel when I finally got home and it soaked up a lot more water. The paper towels and towel got pretty heavy.

I think since Sunday I've completely shut off the A/C, tried to soak up more water with some paper towels and it went from damp to almost completely dry by Monday afternoon. I put the floor mat back in and felt it underneath every once in a while and it went back to being wet again, but not saturated like it originally was (when I was using the A/C).

That's why I think it's the A/C.
Old October 21st, 2015, 12:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While it could be the AC, it could also be the water evaporating from the rug below it and condensing on the bottom side of the mat. Do you have a sunroof as well? If I m not mistaken there's a drain hose for that which can be causing problems too.
Old October 21st, 2015, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

It seems too wet to just be normal condensation. I do have a sunroof but it hasn't rained since the weekend and the floor is still getting wet after drying a bit...
Old October 22nd, 2015, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

The floor got pretty damp underneath the floor mat over the past couple of days. Haven't been running A/C and barely ran the heat.

All of the wetness is in the lower left part underneath the mat. It doesn't seem to be wet or leaking from anywhere else.

What runs through this area? How can I lift up the carpeting with damaging anything?
Old October 23rd, 2015, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

I'am having the same problem with my 2000 Monte Carlo. Must do the following when the weather permits.Get in the car and have someone use a water hose with slight pressure of water being released from the hose, over the top and left side edge of the door, but 1st remove the bottom inside door molding trim (it's about 3.1/2' long, it should pop right out, then get inside, close the door and proceed, and be patient, because it takes about 3 to 5 minutes to spot the leak, coming in at the bottom mid-section of the door. The problem is the door not being aligned ! My probable cause #1 was the weather strip. If it's not the A/C, heater, weather strip or anything else, it's very likely the door, If that door is off by so much a fraction of an inch, then it's not really squeezing against the weather strip. If the door sways slightly upward while lifting it, then the bushings on the door hinges are worn and need to be replaced. A video by "A-1 Auto is a pretty good video to watch. But 1st perform the water test !
Old October 24th, 2015, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Well it dried and got wet several times with absolutely no rain so I don't think there's an actual leak from the outside.
Old October 25th, 2015, 6:16 PM
CF Active Member

are you using your ac or heater when this happens even though you said its not from rain possibly.your drain tube thats connected to your ac/heater box could either be plugged with dirt or it could be pinched off some how.i have come across this same situation on vehicles where water was leaking in on the passenger side floor due to a plugged drain tube for the ac/heater system.also do you know if there was any dash work done on your vehicle.i have even seen iton the drivers side also.just a thought.