Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2004 3.4 leaking antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2010, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 3.4 leaking antifreeze

I was changing the oil in my 2004 3.4 Impala with 100K+ miles on it when I discovered that it was leaking some antifreeze from somewhere. At first I noticed it dripping out from the aluminum subframe holes. Upon furth research, it dosn't seem like any of the hoses are leaking. Once the engine is started and idling, i can see some of it leaking on the side of the block behind the pulley system. There is not much room to peak around in the Impala, so I am thinkng I might have to start remoing a few items to get a better look. Any ideas or thoughts are gretly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance.

Tom
Old October 24th, 2010, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

It could be waterpump if ieaking behind pulley James

Last edited by barbwire; October 24th, 2010 at 9:36 PM.
Old October 27th, 2010, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Thats what I am gussing. I am going to dig into it more in the next few days. Anyone ever change one on an Impala? Is it as easy as romving tension on the tension pulley...slipping off the belt...the nuts and bolts for removal?
Old October 31st, 2010, 10:03 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Tom

I've had the same problem with coolant leaking on the same side of the motor. I replaced the waterpump, and all the gaskets on that side, and a few others that I had to take off to get to the pump. I put everything back together to discover it was still leaking, although not as much as it did before changing the pump. It turns out above the water pump there is a small plastic elbow that's about 2 inches long and bent at a right angle. I took this piece out, and one of the ends had broken off in the block!! luckily, I was able to get it out with some patience and my pinky finger.

The part is only a few bucks, and you don't have to take anything apart to get to it. I would start there. replacing the water pump and gaskets isn't terribly expensive, and takes the better course of an afternoon to tackle by yourself.