Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2009 Impala Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2016, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Impala Transmission Failure

My mother-in-law has a 2009 Chevrolet Impala with just over 25,000 miles on it. She has owned it since new and just had problems with the transmission. She took it in to the Chevrolet Dealer she bought it from and was told the transmission was junk and it needs a new one. She has had it serviced regularly and is not "hard" on her car. She is in her 80's. The warranty has expired due to the number of years. I have a 2012 Impala and am wondering if this is an issue with Impala transmissions or Chevrolet service and warranty.
Old February 12th, 2016, 8:36 PM
CF Active Member

Interesting fact, GM transmissions over the years have been used in cars from other manufacturers, they have always been that good.

On the other hand, there was a joint project on transmissions a few years ago with Ford and for some reason the ones going in GM cars had problems. IIRC it was a wave plate issue. 25K is ridiculously low for transmission issues, you may want to do some research and if she's lucky you'll find a recall about it.
Old February 12th, 2016, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

hard to say a lot without knowing the details or cause of failure but if vehicles don't get driven very often it is likely that seals or gaskets may have dried up but that normally shows itself as an external leak.

I'm interested in what the symptoms/codes/cause for replacement are
Old February 13th, 2016, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Maybe consider a 2nd opinion from a reputable tranny shop?
Old February 19th, 2016, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

my 2009 chevy impala wont go in drive but it will go in first & second gear & reverse...have you find out what the issue was yet, because I'm having these problems with my 2009 Chevy Impala