Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Battery Drain Issues

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2020, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain Issues

Hello all!

I have a 2006 Impala. I am having issues with something draining the battery to the point it will not start. Whatever is doing it doesn't do it all the time. Its only occasional and random so its hard for the garage's/dealers to find it. When I took it in they couldn't get it to do it. But once whatever it is triggers or doesn't turn off when the car is shut off it takes about 8-9 hours for the car to sit to drain the battery.

A few days ago I got done at work and came out and the car started "hard" as the battery was almost dead. I just happen to catch it in time. As it struggle to turn over and start the dash flashed a message that said "Automatic Control Light On". I hadn't seen this before. I tried to google that message and I get a lot of traction control links, but I'm not sure if that is what the car message is referring too. I cant find anything that refers to the actual exact wording of the message the car flashed however.

I have already replaced the battery and starter trying to solve this battery drain issue. So those are new.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old December 4th, 2020, 6:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rawson
Hello all!

I have a 2006 Impala. I am having issues with something draining the battery to the point it will not start. Whatever is doing it doesn't do it all the time. Its only occasional and random so its hard for the garage's/dealers to find it. When I took it in they couldn't get it to do it. But once whatever it is triggers or doesn't turn off when the car is shut off it takes about 8-9 hours for the car to sit to drain the battery.

A few days ago I got done at work and came out and the car started "hard" as the battery was almost dead. I just happen to catch it in time. As it struggle to turn over and start the dash flashed a message that said "Automatic Control Light On". I hadn't seen this before. I tried to google that message and I get a lot of traction control links, but I'm not sure if that is what the car message is referring too. I cant find anything that refers to the actual exact wording of the message the car flashed however.

I have already replaced the battery and starter trying to solve this battery drain issue. So those are new.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
The alternator can sometimes cause a battery drain issue, so I'd start with that, Make sure that all the lights are off. I had a underhood work- light drain my battery down, for instance,
Old December 4th, 2020, 7:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
The alternator can sometimes cause a battery drain issue, so I'd start with that, Make sure that all the lights are off. I had a underhood work- light drain my battery down, for instance,
If you have an under hood trouble light, and you are having this issue, unplug it. My 2000 suburban had this issue.
Old December 4th, 2020, 10:23 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
If you have an under hood trouble light, and you are having this issue, unplug it. My 2000 suburban had this issue.
I did. It was not all that bright anyhow. I carry a small belt held flashlight and one in the pickup anyhow along with many other things I might need.