Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2013 Impala Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2014, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Impala Maintenance

I am checking to see when you should change the transmission fluid on my car, the dealer that did the ignition key recall was trying to sell me a 30,000 mile maintenance package that replaced the transmission fluid and did fuel injector and throttle body service and I thought that was too soon for what I see in the owners manual. Just wanted to get some opinions (especially if you work at GM).

Thanks

Roger
Old October 16th, 2014, 5:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the owners manual it calls for 97,500 miles.

So you are doing 15,000 mile a year?

Are you doing mostly highway miles? A lot of city traffic/stop and go?

Do you have a dipstick to check the fluid level and color?

For others the owner manual - Page 299, Section 11-5

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...2k13impala.pdf

Last edited by sledge.impy; October 16th, 2014 at 5:02 PM.
Old October 16th, 2014, 8:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you want the trans to last change the fluid. This is for any vehicle, any brand. Besides engine oil, trans fluid is the one fluid I put priority on.

I would follow the severe maintenance schedule in your owners manual. 30 000 may be a little early but better early than late. The first trans fluid change is the most important. An engineering study has shown that the first fluid change removes approx. 80% of the circulating particles that exist for the trans life. This debris comes from assembly, new parts mating and normal breakdown.

brake, power steering fluid exchanges are not vital...trans fluid is...do it and use gm dexron fluid.
you can fix a lot of things on a car but not many people are equipped to fix a trans.

manufactures like to promote there vehicles to be very maintenance free; its a selling point.

Last edited by tech2; October 16th, 2014 at 8:20 PM.
Old October 17th, 2014, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I will probably do is wait until my next oil change, then I can talk to them more about it. Do you know what the throttle body and injector service would entail?
Old October 17th, 2014, 8:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

they connect equipment into the fuel rail and air intake snorkel. cleaning products are then feds to the injectors and spray into the intake. the purpose is to clean any carbon deposits from the induction system. They may also clean the throttle plate and add cleaners and fuel system dryers to the fuel tank. This service is more important if you have a direct injection fuel system vs injectors located in the manifold.
Your trans service is much more important than the fuel injection service. if you have to pick one, do the trans fluid exchange. buy a fuel injector cleaner at the local auto store and add it to your tank at every oil change.

if you want more info on the fuel system service google bg fuel injector service and see what comes up.