Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2013 Impala transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2014, 10:58 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Impala transmission fluid change

I just picked up a 2013 Impala LTZ<O</O
I have almost 30,000 miles on and my old school thinking it's due for a change.<O></O>
This 6T70 does not have the traditional pan on the bottom but on the side which I assume the filter is located.<O></O>
Anyone changed fluid and filter on this transmission you care to share any tips<O></O>
Old July 20th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I've never changed one for this trans but I do believe you are correct; it is on the side. What I have been told from higher ups at my dealership; gm will allow the filter to not be changed as long as complete fluid exchanges are performed. So that is what we are doing.
A lot of other trans makers don't even have a depth filter in the unit but rather a screen.

whatever you decide, the first fluid change will remove approx. 80 to 90% of particles and debris from assembly, break-in and wear that circulate throughout the life of the transmission. Glad to see someone doing the most important fluid change early.
Old July 21st, 2014, 5:17 PM
New User

Originally Posted by tech2
I've never changed one for this trans but I do believe you are correct; it is on the side. What I have been told from higher ups at my dealership; gm will allow the filter to not be changed as long as complete fluid exchanges are performed. So that is what we are doing.
A lot of other trans makers don't even have a depth filter in the unit but rather a screen.

whatever you decide, the first fluid change will remove approx. 80 to 90% of particles and debris from assembly, break-in and wear that circulate throughout the life of the transmission. Glad to see someone doing the most important fluid change early.

In bold is exactly why I would like to change the filter the first fluid change.
I would not have an issue changing just the fluid the next service.
Only thing that has me concerned is the wiring that goes through the filter cover, not sure what I would be getting myself into
Old July 21st, 2014, 8:01 PM
Super Moderator

I spoke to a coworker who is a trans rebuilder. the filter is not meant to be serviceable. you have to open the transmission case to remove it. This would mean complete removal from the car and then split open at a work station. It is only meant to be changed during a rebuild.

Last edited by tech2; July 21st, 2014 at 8:03 PM.
Old July 21st, 2014, 8:15 PM
New User

I spoke to a coworker who is a trans rebuilder. the filter is not meant to be serviceable. you have to open the transmission case to remove it. This would mean complete removal from the car and then split open at a work station. It is only meant to be changed during a rebuild.

That explains why when I talked to parts department you can not buy the filter separately, you have to buy a complete transmission seal kit.

So just dump the fluid and replace, simple as that?
Old July 21st, 2014, 9:12 PM
Super Moderator

you will only get 1/2 the fluid out by dropping the drain plug. You could drain it, fill it, drive it for a week and repeat.

Another option is to pull off the top trans cooler line at the rad, put a hose over the metal tube and direct the tube to a waste container. run the trans till 3 liters comes out then stop. refill...repeat until 12 to 15 liters total is expelled.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 6:35 AM
New User

So the top line is the return line?

I did the same thing when changing transmission fluid in my 05 Suburban
Old July 22nd, 2014, 8:33 PM
Super Moderator

then you will be familiar with chevy cooler line quick connects.

again I haven't worked on this model. All gm's that I have worked on: will flow from the trans to the top of the rad and out the bottom connection at the rad and back to the trans. Its easier to direct the flow into the waste container using the top hose and its easier access, that's why I go there.
Old August 10th, 2014, 6:30 PM
New User

then you will be familiar with chevy cooler line quick connects.

again I haven't worked on this model. All gm's that I have worked on: will flow from the trans to the top of the rad and out the bottom connection at the rad and back to the trans. Its easier to direct the flow into the waste container using the top hose and its easier access, that's why I go there.

I'm 100% positive the top line is the return to the transmission on my 13 Impala and 05 Suburban.

Am concerned if I pull the return line and divert fluid to a drain pan is something not going to get lubricated in the transmission?
Old August 10th, 2014, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldcrow
I'm 100% positive the top line is the return to the transmission on my 13 Impala and 05 Suburban.

Am concerned if I pull the return line and divert fluid to a drain pan is something not going to get lubricated in the transmission?
Well T2 said this below. So 3L at a time you should be fine.

I've never done this - but couldn't you disconnect the bottom line and put it in a big tub of fresh fluid of say 20L??

Old 07-21-2014, 10:12 PM
CF Addict

you will only get 1/2 the fluid out by dropping the drain plug. You could drain it, fill it, drive it for a week and repeat.

Another option is to pull off the top trans cooler line at the rad, put a hose over the metal tube and direct the tube to a waste container. run the trans till 3 liters comes out then stop. refill...repeat until 12 to 15 liters total is expelled.

Quick Reply: 2013 Impala transmission fluid change