Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2014 Impala cabin heat issue

Old March 5th, 2014, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Impala cabin heat issue

I just purchased a 2014 Impala 2LT. First morning outside temp was 20 below zero. I had set my temperature up to 85 degrees on automatic and could not get the cabin temperature above about 65 degrees after 40 mile drive. Coolant temperature was 180 degrees. It took 10 miles of driving to get coolant up to 180 degrees.Took back to dealer. He replaced thermostat housing. Coolant temp is now 189-194 degrees. Still cold cabin. Still in auto mode,the fan speed does not increase enough to get temperature up to set point. It sounds like the fan is only running on low speed. When the coolant temperature gets warm enough in auto mode, shouldn't the fan speed increase to high until the cabin reaches set temperature and then slow down the fan to maintain temp? (The fan will run on high if I set it manually)
Old March 5th, 2014, 8:45 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi dougsred1,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing this issue. I would like to assist and look into this further for you. Could you please PM me your VIN, contact information and current mileage? Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 5th, 2014, 9:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about settings on HI?

Does the fan speed still appear slow? or is it fast?

-20F below is pretty freaking cold.
Old March 5th, 2014, 3:05 PM
CF Junior Member

If you go into the settings screen on the MyLink system there is a setting for auto fan speed. In the settings screen go to VEHICLE, CLIMATE & AIR QUALITY and then choose AUTO FAN MAX SPEED and set this to high. Should help get the inside warmer. I am in Michigan and we have been having a lot of sub zero temps as well, but -20 is pretty damn cold. Not sure about the 4cyl, but the V-6 has a 185 degree thermostat and when it went down to -13 here it took a while for my car to warm up and when the vehicle was moving the temp would drop to 180-182 sometimes.
Old March 5th, 2014, 3:12 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I live way up in Canada and I have the 2LT Implala as well. The temperatures have gotten down to -40C .. -50C with windchill. Haven't had any heat problems! Hopefully ou get this figured out.
Old March 12th, 2014, 3:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing to remember, it takes time to transfer heat, cold to hot or hot to cold. When I used to do HVAC work, I used to tell some clients that putting the fan on high could cause the air to move too fast across the coil and not allow it to pick up heat from the coil or get heat transferred to the coil as in the case of AC. It takes time to make the heat transfer. If you are dealing with -20 degree air, then the air can only warm up so much in the amount of time it has while passing through the coil at high speed. A lower speed will allow more time to transfer.
Old March 15th, 2014, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Here is an update on my heat problem. The dealer replaced the thermostat housing. The coolant temperature is now 189-194 degrees. When I picked up the vehicle, the tech had the drivers heat set on 85 and the passenger heat set on HI. It pumped out lots of heat but that is not how I operate it. I need to set it way higher than normal (85) to get it warm and when I turn it down to 74 the air conditioner comes on and blows cold air. Needs to go back to the dealer.
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dougsred1
Here is an update on my heat problem. The dealer replaced the thermostat housing. The coolant temperature is now 189-194 degrees. When I picked up the vehicle, the tech had the drivers heat set on 85 and the passenger heat set on HI. It pumped out lots of heat but that is not how I operate it. I need to set it way higher than normal (85) to get it warm and when I turn it down to 74 the air conditioner comes on and blows cold air. Needs to go back to the dealer.

I guess it was easier when there were no #'s associated and you just hot a dial to turn it on HOT ?

Get a temp gauge and stick it in the vent and examine the temp coming out.

ATD Tools 1” Dial Thermometer

How are you certain the AC is on?

So when the AC comes on, nothing is in AUTO and you can not manually turn it off with the button?

page 8-3
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...2k14impala.pdf
Old January 26th, 2019, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougsred1
I have a similar problem to yours on my 2014 Impala. On mine it only puts out hot air when set to HI. Did you ever get a resolution on it? No warranty left here so I'm hoping it was an easy fix.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Leroy Tatsch (March 13th, 2022)
Old March 13th, 2022, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Still no heat only works when temp on hi

Any fix on this issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Impala cabin heat issue