Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2014 Impala LTZ Smoke after washing from grill

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2014, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Impala LTZ Smoke after washing from grill

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and have a question regarding my 2014 Impala LTZ. When I wash the vehicle (be it at home with a hose and bucket, or a drive through touch less car wash) I get a large amount of steam from the radiator. It seems to be located in the upper drivers side corner. I have removed the large plastic cover plate under the hood, over the radiator, but cant seem to find where it is coming from exactly...or even why. I have had multiple cars, and washed them every which way and have never had this problem...even if I sprayed the hose directly into the grill. It's kind of frustrating, having a beautiful car like this with only 699 miles, and it looks like its overheating at every stop light for the following several miles after washing it. The steam starts right at 181 degrees (when the thermostat opens, and hot coolant is introduced into the radiator) I have checked, and it is not because of the catalytic converter behind the radiator.

I'm still searching for the reason every time it happens...just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks!!
Old March 23rd, 2014, 4:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GM_For_Life85
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and have a question regarding my 2014 Impala LTZ. When I wash the vehicle (be it at home with a hose and bucket, or a drive through touch less car wash) I get a large amount of steam from the radiator. It seems to be located in the upper drivers side corner. I have removed the large plastic cover plate under the hood, over the radiator, but cant seem to find where it is coming from exactly...or even why. I have had multiple cars, and washed them every which way and have never had this problem...even if I sprayed the hose directly into the grill. It's kind of frustrating, having a beautiful car like this with only 699 miles, and it looks like its overheating at every stop light for the following several miles after washing it. The steam starts right at 181 degrees (when the thermostat opens, and hot coolant is introduced into the radiator) I have checked, and it is not because of the catalytic converter behind the radiator.

I'm still searching for the reason every time it happens...just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks!!
Stop washing your radiator!

It's the cat converter behind behind the radiator.

When the fan kicks on, it pulls the air in and moisture off the radiator and into the motor..

When the fan kicks off, the converter is hot and heats up the moisture on the radiator enough and you get the steam.

You're fine.