Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2014 Impala Music Storage?

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2014, 11:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Impala Music Storage?

My buddy's car has a feature that I have always liked: when you put a disc into it, it rips the disc to some sort of internal storage (HDD or flash memory, something). We had popped a couple discs in there during long drives to have some music for when we were using our phones or whatever and couldn't have them cabled up to the car.
I have been buying a ton of CDs up here and anticipated going home in a month and being able to rip some of the discs to the car. I'll be driving 15 or so hours after getting home (and then will be making another 15 hour drive before leaving the country again) and was looking forward to throwing some music on there. However, I got to thinking recently and decided that I didn't know if that was capable on my '14 Impala. I'm starting to think it isn't possible.
I tried searching around on google for 2014 Impala + "music storage" or "ripping discs" but did not turn anything up. I also tried just now to check the owner's manuals in the Ownership section of the Chevy site but the .pdfs are not loading on the terrible network I am on here at work.

So if anyone happens to know off the top of their head or has tried it, can music be ripped via disc to some kind of internal storage in the car?
Old February 23rd, 2014, 2:03 AM
CF Junior Member

This can not be done on an Impala. It has no Hard Drive or any internal storage. It can play from a connected USB device such as a USB Stick, i-Pod and an SD Card. You can rip your CD's to any of those devices in mp3 format, not sure if it will read other formats.. You can use any playback device that had a audio out jack and plug it into the AUX Port in the console and play back that way. Also keep in mind that the MyLink System in the Impala has a 8000 song limitation on any given device meaning a 160 GB i-Pod Classic with 15000 songs will not play, it will just lock up. The Impala does have a CD Player that will play standard cd's and mp3 CD's. For me, i-Pod via USB is the best way to go.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 2:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Alright, thanks for the answer. It's not a huge disappointment or anything to me, I just assumed for a while that it could do what my buddy's older car could and then got to thinking that I hadn't seen anything about storage space in it and that maybe I was wrong. The wiki page for MyLink mentions that one of the versions of the system had/has a HDD in it; I wish the Impala did also I guess.

But no big deal. I'll stick to running my iPhone through it like I was doing in September. As many CDs as I have been buying lately though, I may need to upgrade to a 64GB phone. I'm sitting on 2000+ songs on it at the moment and with how indecisive I can get with settling on something to listen to, that won't be enough for my road trip.

Thanks again.

Last edited by EYEL1NER; February 23rd, 2014 at 2:20 AM.
Old March 4th, 2014, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

I've got a bunch of CDs on a 16G Flash drive. Just rip the CDs to a couple of flash drives and put them in the different USB ports..