Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2014 Impala-Speedometers show different values

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2014, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Impala-Speedometers show different values

I bought a 2014 Silver Ice Metallic Impala LTZ last August. I'm very happy with the car and sort of enjoy the 2nd looks and compliments I get about it. Best ride ever and exremely quite. So many things to like and only a few bothersome items. One that drives me crazy is that the analog speedometer shows a noticeably different value than the digital speedometer. Based on some of the highway speed displays I drive past, the digital appears to be the one that's accurate and the analog is 2mph faster. Not the end of the world but it truly does annoy me. I would have been happy with just one speedometer but since Chevy went to the trouble to install two, I'd like them to both give me the same value. I asked my dealer service rep about it and he said there's no adjustment or calibration and +/- 2mph is standard. I have a 2011 Equinox and both are EXACTLY the same. So my QUESTIONS are: Is it true that the speedometers cannot be adjusted or calibrated to display the same value? and.. Is it reasonable to want both to read the same or am I expecting too much? If they can't be adjusted, what's the alternative. New analog speedometer?
Old March 11th, 2014, 8:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turn off the digital. You can change what is in the cluster view. Problem solved.
Old March 12th, 2014, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Sledge. Kinda silly. I hope I get some real answers.
Old March 12th, 2014, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 57briarpatch
Thanks Sledge. Kinda silly. I hope I get some real answers.
Which size tires do you have? 19 or 20"?

I haven't checked to see if the 19" are the same size diameter as the 20".

Maybe one of yours is mis-programmed to the wrong tire size.
Old March 12th, 2014, 4:47 PM
Banned

Unless GM changed the way things have been done that past 15-20 years both displays would be driven electronically.

While it is possible it is highly unlikely GM engineered the car with a sensor for each display.

Mine is an LTZ with Adaptive Cruise and 20" Wheels.

No noticeable difference between the 2 displays but I use the IP display for other info 99% of the time.
Old March 13th, 2014, 9:28 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking through tirerack.com, the 19" tires have a diameter of 27.7" and rotate 755 revolutions/mile, the 20" tires have a diameter of 28.7" and rotate 729 revolutions/mile.
Old March 13th, 2014, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

My Impala has 19" tires.

The dealer service dept. wouldn't even take it out on the road to look at it. I didn't push the matter however maybe a different dealer would. I'd love to have a response from Chevrolet Customer Service to see if the speedometer inaccuracy is something that should be fixed. I think it should as I paid lots of hard earned $ for this "almost" perfect car.

Last edited by 57briarpatch; March 13th, 2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old March 15th, 2014, 6:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 57briarpatch
My Impala has 19" tires.

The dealer service dept. wouldn't even take it out on the road to look at it. I didn't push the matter however maybe a different dealer would. I'd love to have a response from Chevrolet Customer Service to see if the speedometer inaccuracy is something that should be fixed. I think it should as I paid lots of hard earned $ for this "almost" perfect car.
is it consistently off by 2 mph? or just accelerating? decelerating?

going slow ? going fast?

on my 20" tires, the worst i saw was about 1 mph difference.

I took some video and tried to drive different speeds.. I'll post it when i get a chance later on.
Old March 15th, 2014, 11:18 PM
CF Veteran

btw, how tall are you?
Old March 15th, 2014, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
btw, how tall are you?
why? do you think it a parallax line of sight error?

Quick Reply: 2014 Impala-Speedometers show different values