Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2014 LTZ Impressions at 5000 miles

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2014, 9:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 LTZ Impressions at 5000 miles

The car has been enjoyable except for a few issues.

The good:
The leather is holding up like new and feels soft with no permanent creases forming (yet). Considering I am a big guy (230 lbs), this is actually pretty amazing. I did treat the leather at under 100 miles with Lexol 907 treatment (Amazon $10). This is Chevy leather, but acting like Cadillac leather.

There are no rattles or squeaks. This is not too surprising on smooth, pot-hole-free Florida roads, but so far so good.

There are no paint chips or blemishes on the front surfaces. Not a big deal, but my 2010 Camaro looked like it was sand blasted after the same mileage. They must have improved the paint process, paint quality, or maybe the shape of the front end has something to do with it.

The not so good:
The battery leaked and would not hold a charge. Left me stranded were it not for the nice lady with the jumper cables. Replaced under warranty, no damage, no issues since.

The voice recognition system is dicey. Sometime will not recognize any commands, even with windows up and AC fan on low. This will probably get resolved with software update.

I'm averaging only 17.5 mpg with my 3.6L (as per DIC). I was getting 21.0 mpg in my 2013 Malibu with 2.5L (198 HP) so I'm not too upset.

The 3.6L has a lot of torque and the front wheels squeak too easily, and there is a loss of traction if there is any moisture on the road surface. Since there is minimal torque steer, this is not a big deal. However, on dry pavement, the tranny seems to grab harshly when I accelerate from stopped. This may be resolved with a software update. I'll keep my eyes open.

The bad (design issues):
I've encountered my first 'first-year design flaw'. The power shade on the moon roof has worn through the fabric on the edge of the opening. It's about a 1 inch tear forming just above the driver's head. You can't see it when inside the car, but it will certainly spread and is starting to fray. This can easily be fixed for 2015 Impalas, I am stuck with a fraying roof fabric. I need to decide what to do about this. Either I forget about it and see it gets worse, or I bitch and complain now and they may end up replacing the entire roof fabric (I can't see any other way of repairing it). They may even put up a fight and say normal wear and tear, but I'm ready for that fight after spending $36,500 just a few months back.

Also, the sunroof when opened is really loud at any speed over 30 mph. this may be resolved for 2015, but what's the point of a sunroof if you can't use it? When you close it up, the contrast with the whisper quiet interior is amazing. They need to figure out the wind deflector because that fish tank net material is not doing it.
Old May 17th, 2014, 9:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2LTZ

I'm at 1,500 since December.

Going back to a non-EPS car - it feels like manual steering to me. The EPS is definitely spoiling me.

I've left my sunshade open.. haven't closed it. Haven't opened the glass either. Too much pollen being dumped by the trees!

I never thought I'd say this - but going to my 4th f-body is totally strange ... the leather in that car now feels plush and loads softer compared to the impy.
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:54 PM
CF Junior Member

I've got a 2LTZ as well, sitting at 8851 miles since last September.
The leather is holding up quite well, especially after the road trip I went through recently. Quite a bit of hours in a row sitting in that seat and it looks great still. Like yours, the paint up front still looks great, though I wish I could say the same for the paint in other spots (I apparently live near people who have no respect for other people and now have several chips and scratches that I need to have someone at a body shop look at when I get back).
I have to agree about the sunroof being way too loud. I have always wanted a sun or moonroof and now I have one, but I cannot drive anywhere with it open because it is deafening at even moderate speeds. I don't ever really use voice recognition for anything because it never understands what I am saying. And a complaint that you didn't mention but one that I have is that the quality on that rearview camera is so bad.

All-in-all, I think it is a great car and am still very pleased with my purchase.
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:00 AM
Banned

2LTZ purchased 10-12-13.

16K since then.

No issues with sunroof damage or noise.

Try holding down the deflector when at speed, now that is a noisy sunroof.

Otherwise, same level of noise that Cruze LTZ had. Cant really say it has any more noise than any other sunroof equipped car I have been in but of course have only been in a few.

Had front of car and top of rear bumper covered in the 3M clear protection and only have one scratch down by pass LED DRL. Worth the money.

I have noticed the 20" Bridgestones bust loose on any pavement wet or dry. The 3.6L has some ***** so no complaints there.

Fuel economy dropped from the Cruze but still better than I expected.

Overall, I cant think of anything to change except the fake wood color on the interior trim. Not my favorite but still looks good.