Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2014 TPMS relearning tool?

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2014, 2:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 TPMS relearning tool?

I'm new to all this technology i just read you need to use a relearn tool after you rotate the tires. i do most of my own work on my cars and wont be running clear to the other side of town to pay to have my tires rotated when i have all the equipment here.

im having trouble finding any tool online for the cars though. and the manual just says use the tool. not that any alternative procedures are needed.

also from what i read online, these sensors need to be replaced every 5 to 7 years because there's a battery. is this true? Im' glad i'm researching all this stuff before purchase
Old February 12th, 2014, 4:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by luckydriver
I'm new to all this technology i just read you need to use a relearn tool after you rotate the tires. i do most of my own work on my cars and wont be running clear to the other side of town to pay to have my tires rotated when i have all the equipment here.

im having trouble finding any tool online for the cars though. and the manual just says use the tool. not that any alternative procedures are needed.

also from what i read online, these sensors need to be replaced every 5 to 7 years because there's a battery. is this true? Im' glad i'm researching all this stuff before purchase
And if you don't, will it still work but report on the wrong wheel?

I rarely check it.
Old February 13th, 2014, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

aftermarket tools are out there for about $80.

I agree with the previous post: for vehicles that run the same pressure front and back...don't bother relearning them.

If there is a problem that needs to get repaired with the system...a smart tech will confirm the location of the bad sensor regardless of what the dic location says.

the sensor batteries have a ten year life and go into a sleep state when the wheels are not rotating.
Old February 13th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Most tire shops can do it for you, and some will do it for free as a customer service for those that have bought tires from them in the past....
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:28 AM
CF Junior Member

ah ok so this is worry about nothing then. worst that will happen is the wrong tire will show low on pressure i thought id have some annoying warning lite constantly on or something, that would drive me nuts. also i dont mind paying 80 for the right tool. just saw some tools well over 100 bucks out there.

but as long as i can drive with no errors and it still report all 4 pressures ill be good.
Old February 13th, 2014, 9:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

General Motors TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor Relearn Tool 50448 | eBay

I know nothing about the seller but have used this brand of tool and it works well.
Old February 13th, 2014, 9:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
General Motors TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor Relearn Tool 50448 | eBay

I know nothing about the seller but have used this brand of tool and it works well.
Thanks. Definitely google for better prices.

Youtube videos under EL-50448.
Old February 14th, 2014, 12:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Amazon has it as well.

Kent-Moore EL-50448 TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Activation Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive Kent-Moore EL-50448 TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Activation Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive