Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2005 Impala parking brake issues

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Impala parking brake issues

hello all. got an issue with the parking brake my girlfriends 2005 impala 3.8.

i changed all four rotors and pads all around about two months ago. since the day it was done, the parking brake about hasn't worked. i figured the new rotors were possible slightly larger than the old ones, and the drums weren't catching.

so i took the assembly apart and check it out.

on one side, this seems to be true. everything seems to work properly, just doesn't catch. needs adjusted (passenger side)

on the other, this doesn't seem to be the case. when the brake is applied, it doesn't appear as if the shoe itself is expanding. i took the entire assembly apart and checked it over. cable is intact, spring is still on, nothing appears to be off.

looking at the two 'pins' that push the shoe out: when the shoe is off, i can see these 'pins' push out when the parking brake is applied. however, when the shoe is mounted and in place, these pins don't seem to move at all.

i've tried making adjustments to these pins to push the rotor out more, but they do not seem to expand at all when the brake is applied.

it doesn't make much sense to me - i believe that something else internally has to be broken I suppose, but I just can't figure out why or what may have caused it. i haven't been able to find anyone on the internet anywhere with the same type of problem, and i can't find clear enough break downs of part diagrams to see what exactly could be broken.

please help!

thank you!
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the cable free and tight?