Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2016, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise Control

Purchased 2015 Impala LZ sedan. Love it. Adaptive Cruise control-HUGE SAFETY ISSUE. Driving down the road at 45, 55, or even 70 mph with nothing in front or on the sides of the road for 200 yards or even 400 yards and the 3 lines of red light flash on the windshield, warning beeps going off loudly, and the car brakes hard enough to lock up the seat belts. The car behind me has just had a major heart attack trying to stop too. I recover and the car goes flying by flipping me off and cursing me. This happens not once but repeatedly- to the point I now drive with my foot hovering over the accelerator to keep the car in forward motion.
The dealer tells me there is nothing wrong with my car.
Can anyone help?
Old February 1st, 2016, 12:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Go to a different Dealer, there is something wrong.
Old February 14th, 2016, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default Adaptive Cruise Control

I am having the same issues with adaptive cruise. Dealer scanned computer and found no codes stored. Dealer says to keep monitoring problem
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Yes. That is the same they told me. I have called the number in my owners manual and have open a 'case'. Their two weeks for a reply from my dealer is up and I will call the GMC number tomorrow. It does not seem to be stopping very often but it's five times in one day since the case was opened. I do not have access to the interstate as that is about 1.5 hours away and that is where it usually screws up. Keep me posted. May I suggest you also call the # in the manual-perhaps there are more of us and there may be a 'fix'.
Old May 15th, 2016, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Just wondered what would happen if a bug hit right in front of the camera....something similar?
I just bought a 2015 and wondered if there was a way to shut off that feature and use it as a regular cruise control.
Old May 15th, 2016, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

So here is what I have learned. This is most likely a Collision Control issue. It would appear that Ford has recalled about 30 thousand of their trucks F150 and Honda has recalled about a many more thousands of vehicles for the same as the above. The vehicle stopping in the middle of the freeway (road) for no reason and causing really big crashes. GM admitted to the tech who called (when I went to a different dealer) there is a problem and they have issued a 'bulletin' of conditions of when the Automatic Collision Control may improperly engage---it is about ... oh, anytime. It would be nice if the various car manufacturers could get together, share their knowledge, and solve a potentially huge lawsuit. But hey, that is the ideal world!
Old May 15th, 2016, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

And Angrybird12, there is no way to by pass this per every tech and GM person I have talked too. That would be very nice but there is no regular cruise control. I believe technology is going in the direction of vehicles driving themselves and we are on that journey whether we like it or not.
Old May 15th, 2016, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Adaptive Cruise

My experience is the same, the adaptive cruise cannot be turned off to use as regular cruise. So, it is all or nothing. I went to a different dealer for my problem. After logging the circumstances of my cruise slowing the car, the dealer got the approval from GM to check the alignment of the radar transmitter/receiver. They found the sensor was out of alignment. After the realignment and learn procedure, there have been no problems.
Old May 15th, 2016, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by donrl
My experience is the same, the adaptive cruise cannot be turned off to use as regular cruise. So, it is all or nothing. I went to a different dealer for my problem. After logging the circumstances of my cruise slowing the car, the dealer got the approval from GM to check the alignment of the radar transmitter/receiver. They found the sensor was out of alignment. After the realignment and learn procedure, there have been no problems.
I do not think I have the adaptive cruise on my Impala, i just got it Friday used 2015 LTZ with the 2LZ equipment. I took it on the interstate and set the cruise, several times I quickly approached a slower car and it never slowed down i got uncomfortably close to them. I had to manually brake. I even passed vehicles parked in the emergency lane and nothing.
How can I know if I have it for sure? I dont want to be surprized either way.