Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

annoying popping sound when accelerating from a stop,turn or brake -_-

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2012, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying popping sound when accelerating from a stop,turn or brake -_-

I just purchased a used 2008 Chevy impala ls and it has a popping that is driving me insane! It pops once or twice when accelerating from a stop and then occasionally when I turn and almost always when I come to a stop. It sounds like it is coming from the front tires and I have had the strut and strut mounts on the right side replaced. I am so frustrated with this and just kinda curious if any one has any idea what it might be and is it going to be safe for me to drive it :/

Last edited by charity; April 27th, 2012 at 8:25 PM.
Old April 30th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> charity,

This issue may be caused by the rear strut spring rubber isolator contacting the lower spring coil. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician at your local dealer. They will be able to offer additional information after a physical inspection of the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 30th, 2012, 9:23 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the famous steering shaft
Old April 30th, 2012, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

have you checked your cv joints?? if they're ok check all the rubber mounts and bushings

Last edited by 95 z71 stroker; April 30th, 2012 at 9:43 PM.
Old May 1st, 2012, 7:51 AM
CF Beginner

I was also thinking that it may be a rear strut bc it sounds like it may be coming from the back. thank you I plan on taking it to a mechanic today
Old May 1st, 2012, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

When I had the front strut replaced the mechanic said that he checked the cv joints and the wheel barrons but I plan on taking it elsewhere and getting a 2nd opinion
Old May 1st, 2012, 9:02 PM
CF Veteran

x2 on the intermediate shaft, if you can feel a little pop in the steering wheel when turning, turning over bumps, hitting bumps or sometimes just turning theres a good chance its the intermediate steering shaft GM passenger cars have had TSBs on this issue forever, kinda makes ya wonder why they never found a good fix from the factory
Old May 2nd, 2012, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

i agree! I had a chevy equinox prior and had steering and wheel barron issues it gets quite annoying -_-