Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Any easy fix for passlock problem?

Old March 25th, 2008, 4:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any easy fix for passlock problem?

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone stumbled across an easy fix for the passlock problem. I've
been using my remote starter for a year and a half now with no problems, but thought if there
was an easy fix i wouldn't have to use it so much. My security light even comes on now when
i'm driving down the road. Thanks...
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any easy fix for passlock problem?

This is one of the sucker punches that Chevrolet puts into its cars to help the dealers make money. The problem is with the hall effect sensor mounted in the ignition switch that reads the resister that is embeded into the key. If it reads the resistance wrong, it locks out the fuel system and starter system for 10 minutes. This cannot be reset by unhooking the battery, so you must wait the full 10 minutes. This is normally corrected by giving the dealer 3 to 4 hundred dollars every 6 months to a year to " fix it ", or by installing a remote starter system. Since you have the remote starter, I am not sure why you would be getting the SECURITY light. This is corrected when the remote starter is installed by changing out the BCM module with one that doesn't care about the passlock hall sensor. I would guess that you may have a door lock sensor or such that is causing the light to come on. If you are cheap like me, I just installed a bypass switch in the passlock circuit that bypasses the hall effect sensor. After the second time with the dealer sticking it to my wife, I corrected that problem. The only draw back is that you need to remember to change the switch to bypass prior to shutting the engine off, or it will not work. If you leave it bypassed, the security light will stay on, similar to what you are describing.