Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Anyone buy a 2014 Impala 2LTZ thru Consumer Reports or Costco's auto programs?

Old January 10th, 2014, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone buy a 2014 Impala 2LTZ thru Consumer Reports or Costco's auto programs?

Just wondering if anyone used Consumer Reports or Costco's auto buying programs when they bought their Impala. If so, what did you think? Were you happy with your price? Do you think you saved more than if you negotiated on your own? I've noticed my local dealers are not on these programs. The closest one is about 40 miles away. But I would go there if the savings are good.
Old January 10th, 2014, 1:13 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum....
I have not used any of those services, but some Credit Unions also offer similar services...you can also check for "supplier" discounts though your employer if you happen to be in a business that in one way or another supplies parts to the auto industry.....
I have found the best deal comes from doing your homework on the vehicle...
Do what you can to find the true invoice price of the vehicle and then offer 3-5% over that. The dealership will always make money, because of the whole sale price, what you cut into when buying and dealing is the salesman's and the finance folks cut....
offering 3-5% over invoice lets everyone involved make some money off the deal, HOWEVER if its a popular vehicle like the Suburban was in its day, you could pay 10-15% above sticker!

Do your homework, know what the vehicle is worth, what the options are worth...often times the internet sales is a good way to work a deal.
Old January 10th, 2014, 1:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baby bobby
Just wondering if anyone used Consumer Reports or Costco's auto buying programs when they bought their Impala. If so, what did you think? Were you happy with your price? Do you think you saved more than if you negotiated on your own? I've noticed my local dealers are not on these programs. The closest one is about 40 miles away. But I would go there if the savings are good.
No. But my credit union has a car buying service. It looked like they were going to get their cut anyways. I didn't bother. Black Friday sales event was pretty nice for discount.

Truecar.com showed exact options and price paid. I was with 98% of others or so. Lowest was $800 less.

Not sure how the other programs are run.

And 40 miles is honestly nothing these days. Not sure why that is holding you back?
Old January 22nd, 2014, 9:13 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

chevy dealerships seen so over priced?
Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by trollpala
chevy dealerships seen so over priced?
Over priced compared to what?
Old February 1st, 2014, 1:34 AM
CF Beginner

I used USAA car buying service and saved almost 3k
Old February 1st, 2014, 8:09 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 10yearguy
3k from what? window sticker?

What exact model with options? adaptive cruise control on a 2ltz? 20" rims? 19" rims? Yeah - it does matter - there are/were bigger deals to be had with more options.

If you saved 3k on a base 2ltz from 35k, that's a lot.
3k on 43k - that's probably average.
Old February 1st, 2014, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
3k from what? window sticker?

What exact model with options? adaptive cruise control on a 2ltz? 20" rims? 19" rims? Yeah - it does matter - there are/were bigger deals to be had with more options.

If you saved 3k on a base 2ltz from 35k, that's a lot.
3k on 43k - that's probably average.
Sorry I was referring to my new 2lt but Could have gotten the 2ltz for about 35 or 36 I can't remember. I didn't need the ltz I'm not a fan of all the chrome or those hideous 20 inch rims and I wanted the spoiler which was not available unless it was aftermarket for the ltz.

2LT every option except NAV. I saved almost 3k from what they offered and almost 4 off of sticker. Premium sport and audio package, advanced safety package, comfort package, premium seating, upgraded to 19inch wheels and convenience package. They said I basically got a "stripped down ltz"

Usaa let's you build the car on their site then they give you a certificate the dealer must honor. I didn't haggle too much. I just built the one I wanted online didn't tell dealer of course then I let them order the one I wanted and THEN I showed them my certificate and they adjusted the purchase order accordingly.
Old February 1st, 2014, 4:40 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry I was referring to my new 2lt but Could have gotten the 2ltz for about 35 or 36 I can't remember. I didn't need the ltz I'm not a fan of all the chrome or those hideous 20 inch rims and I wanted the spoiler which was not available unless it was aftermarket for the ltz.

2LT every option except NAV. I saved almost 3k from what they offered and almost 4 off of sticker. Premium sport and audio package, advanced safety package, comfort package, premium seating, upgraded to 19inch wheels and convenience package. They said I basically got a "stripped down ltz"

Usaa let's you build the car on their site then they give you a certificate the dealer must honor. I didn't haggle too much. I just built the one I wanted online didn't tell dealer of course then I let them order the one I wanted and THEN I showed them my certificate and they adjusted the purchase order accordingly.
Thanks for the more detail. That's a very good deal then.

If you were to go to truecar.com, you're probably in the 1% of best prices.

I was in the average of 97% of people for a 2ltz with 20" rims.. looks like I could have wiggled for $500 more for the best price (without car buying). Credit Union looked like they were going to get their cut and I probably would have paid them the $500-1k difference in price.
Old February 1st, 2014, 7:03 PM
CF Junior Member

I was going to use the USAA car buying service but I was already getting preferred pricing from my grandmother's retiree discount and some other stuff, like $500 off just for being a USAA member. I didn't think I could get any of the big employee discounts on top of the USAA price and I was beating the USAA price anyway, so I just went with it. If I could have gotten a slightly better price, that would have been cool and all. I feel like I did pretty well with the price I got though anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. I was really worried about having to haggle for something that expensive for the first time and after busting out my authorization number and the discounts, it seemed like there wouldn't be any way to get the price lowered at that point, so I was content. I felt like I was ahead and thought that was a good enough point to quit at.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone buy a 2014 Impala 2LTZ thru Consumer Reports or Costco's auto programs?