Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Brake Pad Material & Rotor Types-What is good, better, best or Man what'a u thinkin?

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Pad Material & Rotor Types-What is good, better, best or Man what'a u thinkin?

I am going to have to do my brakes eventually. I am sure there are some of us that sit at the auto parts store counter with that stumped look on our face when asked "So, which brake pads would you like?" There are several types of materials to choose from like Semi-Metallic, Ceramic, Organic, Carbon, etc. What if I am just doing normal country driving back and forth to work with a little highway driving... what would I want? What if I am doing a lot of highway driving which means I am traveling at high speeds with little braking... what would I want? What if I am doing a lot of city driving and have to stop and go constantly for signals and stop signs..... what would I want?

On to the Rotors. There are several different types of rotors out there on the market. There are Regular, Slotted, Drilled, Slotted & Drilled, Vented, Non-Vented, Zinc Plated, etc. What are the Pros and Cons of each one.

In all this.... what is good, better, best or ("Geez man, what were you thinking! <-- Bad)"?

I know I want a setup that is going to provide good stopping, longevity, quiet stopping and is not going to cost me an arm and a leg. I mean, I might be willing to give up a few toes... maybe a pinky or 2, but no arms or legs. hehe

Thanks!
Old September 9th, 2009, 9:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an old, but valuable thread, so I wanted to ressurect it.

I cant speak too much for brake pads... I typically like a ceramic or a carbon-metallic poly.

Zinc plated rotors are probably my choice. No paint needed and no rust at all. The downfall of drilled rotors is that the holes reduce overall surface area, and therefore brake contact, which could be detrimental to stopping power. The holes are great for heat disposal, but also create many weak spots for the rotors to crack. Slotted rotors are a step up from drilled, as they are less likely to crack and still allows for heat flow, but again we see less contact area and possibly less stopping power.