Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevrolet Car Models > Impala
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Welcome to Chevrolet forum!
Welcome to Chevrolet forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Chevrolet forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 12:06 AM

Default Car is tugging/shaking/jerking at high speeds?

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem. Please excuse my lack of car knowledge if I get any of this wrong..

I have an impala (2000).

Car is jerking/tugging intermittently at highway speeds, but sometimes at lower speeds (usually around 20-25mph and sometimes 40mph). When cruise control is set around 60-70 the car almost always shakes. For some reason, the shaking isnít as bad at 75+ MPH.

Immediately after I let off on the accelerator (on the highway) the car shakes and hesitates a little. When EGR valve is unplugged almost all tugging and shaking goes away.

My car has been doing this for about a year now - on and off. Iíve left the EGR valve unplugged for months at a time. Had the spark plugs and coils (I think?) replaced in march of í08.
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:38 AM
CF Junior Member

if you've unplugged the egr valve and the shaking/tugging went away then i think you just answered your own question. replace the egr valve. either that or get your catalytic converter checked. the converters on the impalas have a tendency to go bad.
2001 impala, 3.4, 1.0dhp pcm, fenderwell intake w/k&n filter, 2.5" downpipe-exhaust w/flowmaster 40, 17" helo slick rims, LED tail lights/front turn signals, multi color led LS cluster/ hvac controls, impala embroidered floormats, 20% tint, aftermarket moonroof, turn signal mirrors
Old 01-22-2009, 04:57 PM

I've read similar symtoms related to the throttle position sensor. When it starts to go, it doesn't know what you are doing with the gas petal. You might consider that.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Impala Super Moderator

HotSauce6226

Clogged cat? I agree with milwaukee
Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 PM

is the check engine light on? if cat convertors are bad, check engine light will come on and throw code p0430.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psthereal View Post
is the check engine light on? if cat convertors are bad, check engine light will come on and throw code p0430.
A stopped up converter does not throw a code. However, you won't go very fast very far if it is stopped up so that doesn't sound like the problem.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:55 PM
CF Veteran

Go to a salvage yard an buy a used EGR, clean it and try it. If that is it (which it probably is) either use the junk unit or go buy a new one. Sometimes ya just gotta use common sense and not depend strictly on computers to do your thinkin' for you. (LOL) Hell, mechanician can be fun!!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:55 PM

Tags
1998, 2001, car, cat, chevrolet, clogged, code, high, higher, highway, impala, jerking, jerks, p0430, shaking, speeds, tahoe, tugging