Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Checking transmission fluid 2013 LTZ

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2014, 9:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking transmission fluid 2013 LTZ

How does one check the transmission fluid level in a 2013 LTZ 3.6 engine? Owners manual says leave it alone unless it leaks. Old method was to run it through gears and then check it running in P. Like to check it properly.
Old November 24th, 2014, 6:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Caution. What should be a normal service stop for a simple oil and filter service could be a disaster if the attendant overfills the engine and adds transmission fluid. Some service stations are using bulk oil to refill. If not measured accurately it will be overfilled. I have had to remove engine oil after more than one service. Not fun! One must also be sure the correct oil is being used. I have been told that the oil galleries in some new vehicles are so small the the wrong viscosity oil will damage the engine. At the last service stop the well meaning attendant wanted to add transmission fluid thinking it was low. I quickly stopped that but it probably does happen. The owners manual also specifically prohibits flushing the engine yet you still get recommendations from the service manager to flush. Be careful guys. Another point: don't let them "check" your air filter. You know basically when a new one is due. They could damage something if they are not careful. These are not your grandpas cars! Read and follow the owners manual. I answered my own question after reading other posts on the subject concerning checking transmission oil at the right temperatures, etc.

Last edited by klutz1; November 24th, 2014 at 6:32 AM. Reason: explanation
Old November 26th, 2014, 10:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Been reading a lot of posts about tranny fluid levels. Checked the fluid level hot, running and did not see any level on the hatch marks. Checked engine off and level was between hatch marks. Solution: set level hot, engine off to top of hatch marks. Don't really see that a few degrees in temperature 180+- is going to make a deference if there is a range in the hatch marks. Does anyone think the dealer will run the engine to hot to check fluid level during an oil& filter change?? GM reps read these comments. How about posting the Repair manual info for your customers.
Old December 18th, 2014, 5:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Just read a reply on U-Tube from T&N transmissions that posted a video on checking tranny fluid in any car. For 2013 Impalas check hot in Park on level ground. No surprise there! I would run it through the gears and make sure it IS hot.