Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Clacking Noise Near Alternator?

Old October 25th, 2016, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clacking Noise Near Alternator?

My car runs and starts, but there is this somewhat loud clacking/clattering noise coming from the engine bay near the alternator.
I did have to replace a bolt and a belt due to the bolt being REALLY rusty and the belt being REALLY old (approx. 46 years old).
I tried looking it up, with someone saying it was my belts and belt tensioner or it being the oil, but my oil is fine.
I'm really hoping to have the resolved so I can get back to cruising around.
Please, help me.
Old October 25th, 2016, 9:14 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This happening on your 1970 Impala? Did it start doing this all of a sudden? Metallic clacking noise to some other tone to it? To isolate thigs, if you take the belt off of it and start the engine momentarily, and see if it still makes the noise. This should isolate the noise to the belt, something driven by the belt or something not related to the belt.

Last edited by Frank3; October 25th, 2016 at 9:17 AM.
Old October 25th, 2016, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Frank3
This happening on your 1970 Impala? Did it start doing this all of a sudden? Metallic clacking noise to some other tone to it? To isolate thigs, if you take the belt off of it and start the engine momentarily, and see if it still makes the noise. This should isolate the noise to the belt, something driven by the belt or something not related to the belt.
This was after my parents and I went out of town to pick up some things.
I was about to go and air my tires up because my front one was low due to cracking, and I started my car up and I heard this awful ticking noise.
I should be able to try your suggestion out around 4:00 after work, hopefully this will fix it.

Last edited by Jole; October 25th, 2016 at 1:31 PM. Reason: Misplaced sentence
Old October 27th, 2016, 11:28 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It may not fix it but at least isolate what's doing it.
Old October 30th, 2016, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

So, I never got around to taking the belts off, due to my family moving, but I flushed the oil out of my engine and replaced the oil filter, air filter, and oil and it kind of toned down the clanking noise? It's still there, but it's much quieter? Should I try taking the belts off still just to see if they could be causing it?

Search this Thread