Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Considering NOT pulling trigger on purchase of Impala...

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2014, 11:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering NOT pulling trigger on purchase of Impala...

Based on reading I've done here on the forum, and elsewhere, I'm about to change my mind on purchase of the Impala. These may not be good reasons to drop...but I consider them important. Undecided for the moment.

Apparently, you cannot get text message read outs from the MyLInk on an Impala. On a $40KL car, text readouts should be expected.

As well, from what I"M reading the MyLink will NOT be getting new apps, as the method they are planning on is only for 2015 and newer...if you get the 4G addon.

Make the car feel like an abandoned implementation already.

What'cha all think?
Old March 26th, 2014, 12:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Pretty bad reasons for not buying a car as far as I am concerned. Your buying a motor vehicle not a cell phone. Personally, things like that have no business in vehicle, you should concentrate on driving not reading text messages while driving. There are many vehicles that cost much more than the Impala that do not display text messages, so the expectation that a 40K car should have it is unrealistic, in fact 90 percent of vehicles higher than 40K probably don't have that feature. Buy a car because it is the best designed car. If somebody offered you a new Ferrari or a Porsche for 40K would you walk away from it because it could not display text messages ? Your reasons make you sound like a little kid who would be happy with a Yugo as long as it did text messages. I chose my Impala based on it's mechanical features such as the platform the vehicle is built on, powertrain technology, build quality, performance and handling, styling and value for the money compared to other vehicles in it's class. This is all my opinion of course.
Old March 26th, 2014, 7:47 AM
CF Junior Member

My replies in blue.

Originally Posted by blue-impala
Pretty bad reasons for not buying a car as far as I am concerned. Your buying a motor vehicle not a cell phone. Personally, things like that have no business in vehicle, you should concentrate on driving not reading text messages while driving.

Exactly. That is why I want the text messages read out to me. I am not a teenager, and do not get a lot of text messages. So, you say "What's the big deal about getting them read out?" The deal is, that while I don't get a lot of text messages, when I do, I quite often do NEED to hear/read them. The car I currently have has a quick reply capability that can at least akcnowledge them. Without this, I find I need to pull over and stop to work with them.

There are many vehicles that cost much more than the Impala that do not display text messages, so the expectation that a 40K car should have it is unrealistic, in fact 90 percent of vehicles higher than 40K probably don't have that feature.

I don't necessarily agree. I find the capability in less expensive Chevys, such as the Spark and Sonic.

Buy a car because it is the best designed car. If somebody offered you a new Ferrari or a Porsche for 40K would you walk away from it because it could not display text messages ? Your reasons make you sound like a little kid who would be happy with a Yugo as long as it did text messages.

I do understand your thoughts, but then to me, your reasoning makes you sound a little like a 65 year old retired person that has never been near anything technological other than a remote to a black and white TV. (Not intending to condescend or irritate, just responding in kind...)

I chose my Impala based on it's mechanical features such as the platform the vehicle is built on, powertrain technology, build quality, performance and handling, styling and value for the money compared to other vehicles in it's class. This is all my opinion of course.

I whole heartedly agree, and added to that list of reasons, is something just as important...needs. I'm likely going to go ahead with the purchase, but I think earlier in this reply, I indicated my resoning for the concern.

FYI...I went in to purchase a Lacross, which with all the same options, was only $1000 more, given the current incentives, and it does read out texts. But, the seats are quite uncomfortable whereas the seats in the Imapla are comfortable.
Old March 26th, 2014, 9:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Glad you found a car you like.

I am not 65 and very much a tech person, but tech has a time and place. I have almost been killed too many times by people who have to play around with cell phones and infotainment systems while driving and am just against bringing further distractions into the vehicle. While I am not young, I am not old either, and there was a time when cars had no info technology, and the world did not stop spinning because of it. I own a 2014 Impala and still find the use of the touch screen a distraction as opposed to hard buttons, the screen is a nice place to display certain info, but not great as an interface.

As for the Buick Lacrosse, enjoy it it also is a good vehicle, built on the same platform as the Impala and the same powertrain, just different styling and a few different features. I did not choose the Lacrosse due to the higher belt-line that makes the door sills taller and reduced visibility.
Old March 27th, 2014, 8:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by blue-impala
Glad you found a car you like.

Thank you. And likely a surprise...I did purchase the Impala yesterday. I decided that it's easy enough to put an app on the phone that will read out the texts, and then if I need to respond, I can pull over. Usually a response is not as important as knowing if the text is important not. Only downside to that is I'll have to be using Blue Tooth streaming in order ot hear it.

I am not 65 and very much a tech person, but tech has a time and place. I have almost been killed too many times by people who have to play around with cell phones and infotainment systems while driving and am just against bringing further distractions into the vehicle.

I certainly agree with your reasoning. Although it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that it is happening, and will continue. So, in that veign, I think it needs to be better thought out than it is. Too many 'options' are implemented in cars with marketing in mind, it seems, as opposed to good safe implementation. The actual topic of this thread is a case in point. No readout implemented on this model, leaving 1 reason to consider the SS instead.

Your points are exactly the focus of my concern, and the reason I am frustrated that voice readout is not there. I do NOT think it should be able to be read on the screen.

While I am not young, I am not old either, and there was a time when cars had no info technology, and the world did not stop spinning because of it. I own a 2014 Impala and still find the use of the touch screen a distraction as opposed to hard buttons, the screen is a nice place to display certain info, but not great as an interface.

All too true. I had even commented to the sales person that I didn't like the touch screen. One of the nice things about the Mercedes I traded in is that almost everything could be done by voice. One reason I did not purchase a Lexus is because of their moronic implementation of access to their items on the screen...a mouse down on the console. My wife has an RX350, and that mouse thing requires movement to different buttions, and it often glides past one. That causes even more distraction.

As for the Buick Lacrosse, enjoy it it also is a good vehicle, built on the same platform as the Impala and the same powertrain, just different styling and a few different features. I did not choose the Lacrosse due to the higher belt-line that makes the door sills taller and reduced visibility.

Yes the Lacrosse is nice, but three things pushed me to the Impala: I like the design of the Impala better; the seat in the Lacrosse is not as comfortable as the Impala; and the Impala with a lower price tag is a better value.

So, like you, I'll be enjoying the Impala, hopefully for years to come. It's been a long while since I've owned a Chevy, other than the '56 and '61 that I toy with.

Funny...I just tried to submit this post, and because all of my reply was within the quote above, it interpreted my response as zero characters, and wouldn't post.
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Banned

You made a good choice.

Congrats.