Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Dexos1 FULL?? synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2015, 7:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dexos1 FULL?? synthetic?

Hmmm,,,, don't think so, but look at this AC Delco website listing:
ACDelco dexos1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil | ACDelco
I was all excited thinking that FINALLY I can purchase fully synthetic Dexos1 in the AC Delco bottle for our new '15 Impala. Is is just me, or does the Heading say very clearly, "ACDelco dexos1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil" but the second sentence in their description says "synthetic blend"??

Good grief, I just don't see how a "blend" can ever be as good as a full synthetic, but maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone have any info as to why GM "appears" to be saying their "blend" is better? (personally, I suspect that their AC Delco Dexos1 "blend" is the minimum acceptable standard, and surely a full synthetic meeting (or exceeding) the dexos spec should be even better,,,)

But, now am I "gun-shy" to use anything other than the dealership supplied Dexos1 oil while under warranty? -dang right I am. I have read tons of "stuff" out there indicating the new DI engines are more brutal to the oil (not too sure how valid that is,,,,) But I just can't see "taking chances" regarding any potential warranty issues.

Have any of you out there found any good articles on the topic ??

Thanks.
Old March 30th, 2015, 8:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I get your concern. ask about mobile 1 full synthetic. that is what the dealer sells for full syn oil. I can't see that being an issue.

I got to read up on this 0w20 they are recommending for the trucks. I know its for fuel economy. I'm sure they have tested it. I wonder how it will hold up for people using the olm high mileage intervals.

Last edited by tech2; March 30th, 2015 at 8:37 PM.
Old March 30th, 2015, 8:35 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah you could drive yourself nuts... bobistheoilguy site is a mind numbing amount of good info on oil....
You are correct the Dexos1 is the minimal standard for requirements, but as you stated any full synthetic or even blend that meets the Dexos1 standards is fine and will not void a warranty... You must use the Dexos1 standards as a minimum, using anything less will risk voiding your warranty i.e. standard dino oil....
I believe the new type oil is to help with mpg more than anything...
Old March 30th, 2015, 8:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Oil Changes

You almost need to be a chemical engineer to change oil anymore. Synthetic,blend,5w/20,5w/30,GM spec.#,Ford spec.#,Chrysler spec.#. I'll bet when you have oil changed at these speedy lube places they use the same oil for every car! That's why I do my own!!
Old March 30th, 2015, 9:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 57chevythunder
But, now am I "gun-shy" to use anything other than the dealership supplied Dexos1 oil while under warranty? -dang right I am. I have read tons of "stuff" out there indicating the new DI engines are more brutal to the oil (not too sure how valid that is,,,,) But I just can't see "taking chances" regarding any potential warranty issues.

Have any of you out there found any good articles on the topic ??

Thanks.
You should have 2 years of service at GM shop with new car purchase, which includes up to 4 free oil changes..unless they have changed.

I had 1 at 1 year, and will get the 2nd one this fall... so I'll get to 2 changes out of my 4 ..

Just turned 5,000 after 1 year 4 months.
Old March 31st, 2015, 1:26 PM
CF Junior Member

All good thoughts guys. I totally appreciate this forum where people are thoughtful and present meaningful material!! (-and I'm sure you all know of others that seem to not be that way,,,)

Yes a person certainly could go crazy trying to nail down any absolutely factual provable data on the topic in general. I was sure hoping that the ACDelco statements actually are saying that their oil (part number 19293000, for the 5w30 for our new Impalas) is actually a blend of several synthetic products. -as opposed the generally accepted definition of synthetic blend being a blend of a synthetic product and conventional motor oil. -Hey, a guy can always HOPE!!

Yes, I have actually been rather impressed with the volumes of detailed information on the "Bob's..." website. --hopefully most of it is accurate,,, A couple of his articles that I recall being impressed with was, the comparison tests of various filter media, and the one where he dissected both the PF63 and PF63E filters showing all the differences between them (-I hope I'm correct in crediting those two articles to that site,,,)

And IF I force myself to be totally honest, I would have to admit that I would probably never experience any measurable or meaningful "real world" operational, performance, and maybe even any wear differences among whatever oil I used. -mainly becuase I change oil on every vehicle I own every six months, even though each of the vehicles typically only have about 2000 miles on them in that time. But even with that said, still I have used nothing but full synthetic on them all for probably about 30 years now.

It just seems to me like "good insurance" and money well spent. My gosh, why risk using anything less than "premium grade" oil and filters just trying to save a few dollars.

Good thoughts about the current/popular/suggested trend to change oil according to the olm. Man-o-man, that is WAY TOO EXTREME for my personality. -I just can't do it. -I'll gladly spend even twice the money (or more) to change more often, especially since I do it myself, saving the labor. My personal opinion (and its only that) with this whole oil life monitor game is the OEM trying to convince the new vehicle owners that "its a wonderful thing how many miles you can go now between oil changes." -when in fact they are probably pushing the "engine wear safety limits" pretty hard. -just my opinion!! It is still an undeniable fact that the best oil for your engine is that which has been changed well before it reaches it's "safe limits." -which include a LOT of factors.

I suppose my response is plenty long enough. I just thought the ACDelco listing was so blatantly wrong. -I did sent a message off to them but haven't heard back yet.

Good responses guys, keep them coming !!

-oh and yes, I do have a couple thoughts regarding the 0w20 oils, but will save that for a later reply.-
Old March 31st, 2015, 7:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

...your engine will pay you back...it will probably never have oil consumption problems, stretched timing chain, clogged vvt actuators.
Old April 1st, 2015, 12:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Hey tech2, you sound to me like someone who certainly knows just how these things "play out" in the long run. And man I hope you are right with your longevity prediction !! -on my '15 Impala LFX, that is. (-of course I'd personally like the longevity thing for me too,,,, just saying.)

Anyway I just have to share this little tid bit with you, as you will certainly appreciate it. In 2007 we decided we really needed more truck than just my old reg-cab 1990 Silverado. So sadly I parted with it. It was just short of 250,000 miles, and that old 350 still ran like new !! -and you are right, "no oil consumption." To this day I feel that using either Wix, or Napa gold filters, and always full synthetic oil, (didn't even care what brand) AND most importantly NEVER running extended oil change intervals, probably had a lot to do with it.

(for another time, I'll have to share a story with you about some very large very expensive engines I know of which have ran literally for years without oil changes, (oil added as needed) and just exactly what oil filters they are using,,,, -fun stuff)

Okay, you also mentioned about the new 0w20 in the new trucks. My personal opinion is, you are dead right on the primary reason behind it being fuel mileage. No doubt about it, in my old brain. (should we once again thank the federal fuels standards???? -or not,,,,)

And honestly, to try to be fair with all the engineers behind it, I can also see some other possible advantages: -like obviously easier starts in extreme cold weather, and HOPEFULLY even less engine wear due to due to "cold starts." -why do I say that? -because in my opinion, an ice-cold engine is in very serious need of lubrication as soon as possible, probably much more so than a warm engine. And the thinner oil will surely "get to where it is needed much quicker." -wouldn't you agree?

And to be "designed" for use with thinner oil, we know darn well, that the engine's lubricated parts "clearances" and "machine tolerances" have to be somewhat tighter, and certainly much more accurate than in the past. Or to say it another way, "those engines most certainly are designed to use very low viscosity oil." -probably a good thing,,,,-even though it still seems a little "foreign" to this old mechanic.

BUT !! -in my STRONGEST OPINION, NEVER NEVER EVER "push" the oil change intervals. -just think about the "wear particles" far too small for the filter to catch, and how much more significant they are in relationship to the "smaller" engine clearances !! Like I've said before, to reduce engine wear and increase longevity, the facts are simple: "Those wear particles have to get drained out."

-j u s t m y o p i n i o n s -
(and you may know the old saying that "opinions are like _______. Everybody has one,,,, -or more,,,)
Old February 26th, 2016, 12:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Hi everyone, I just discovered a very lengthy, quite intense, and VERY INTERESTING 170 page document titled, "Tech Facts - not myths." (just do a google search for the term "540rat"). -you should get multiple hits, just look for the one with the right title, -it is on the "rat540blog.wordpress dot com" website, among others.

It really makes me feel good to see the very high load test results for the Mobil 1 "advanced full synthetic" 5W-30 that I am using in our 2015 Impala. But it is VERY SAD to see the ranking of the AC Delco synthetic blend 5W-30. Oh my gosh !!

Hey, just scroll down through the 176 different tests he did, and see where your oil ranks.

I also found it totally interesting to read his results on what effect "aftermarket oil additives" have on the psi (film strength) of each test. OMG,,, -worth reading in my opinion,,,

I find it V E R Y interesting !! (BTW, I have a couple jugs of the new Quaker Ultimate Durability (gold bottles) to use next, just to give things a little variety in total additive packages,,,,)

What do you think?

Yes I know, I tend to "over-think" things, but darn it I really want to use a premium oil.
Old September 16th, 2021, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Much to do about nothing

I myself from 45 years of owning mostly pickup trucks with many of then doing extreme duty work vehicles don't get all the fuss about oil in general. I've never had any trouble at all getting 200K+ plus out of countless motors using nothing special, just being **** about getting the oil changed at or below 5K miles. I've never been a full or even blended synthetic user in the past and don't plan too unless it becomes more affordable option. My current truck is getting whatever Dexos1 is? I guess its at least partially synthetic the only reason I'm using that is because the dealership does it for $59 with tire rotation which is pretty darn hard to beat with the 8 quart oil change. Quality conventional oil has been proven reliable for many decades the hype about synthetics is just that hype? I'm not saying it bad or maybe slightly better but it is in no way required to get reasonable long term use out of a modern engine. .

Quick Reply: Dexos1 FULL?? synthetic?