Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

DTC s retrieval

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2014, 8:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DTC s retrieval

I have an '07 Impala 3.7/ auto trans. Is there a way to retrieve DTC s without a code reader? On my Dodge 1500 I can get codes by cycling the ignition key a certain amount of times, ( off-on 3 times). I thought maybe there was something similar on GM products.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Old June 17th, 2014, 8:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J C Smith
I have an '07 Impala 3.7/ auto trans. Is there a way to retrieve DTC s without a code reader? On my Dodge 1500 I can get codes by cycling the ignition key a certain amount of times, ( off-on 3 times). I thought maybe there was something similar on GM products.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Not since OBD II starting around 1995/1996.
Old June 17th, 2014, 10:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Sledge, thanks for the reply.

chris
Old June 17th, 2014, 11:07 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JC Smith, if you don't have a code reader, a lot of auto parts stores will scan your car for you. No purchase or $$ required.
Old June 17th, 2014, 12:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Frank, yeah I usually have it read at the parts store , but it would be nice to do at home. Guess I'll to buy a scan tool. Thanks for the reply.
Chris
Old June 17th, 2014, 1:07 PM
CF Senior Member

I have to buy a new one myself. The last one I got, even though I upgraded it once so it would be CAN enabled, will not talk to my Volt. I am sure the same will hold true for my 2014 Impala as well. The thing is, when something goes wrong, you need it then and now to take care of the issue, not wait for it to come in or have to go pick one up at the store.
Old June 17th, 2014, 7:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I bought a c-reader vi by launch. It will read powertrain codes for anything 1996 and newer including all 2014 models. For $100 it can do much more than a code reader, all 10 modes of obdII in fact.

I bought it for viewing I/M monitor data for when I was buying a used car. Its nice to know when the seller has cleared codes.

If you need to view abs, airbag, WSS or body codes you will need a more expensive model as this will not read B, C or U codes.
Old June 18th, 2014, 10:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks fellas for the info. Do either of you think an Actron code reader would be a smart purchase? If not , what do you suggest. I'd rather not pay more than $200.00 if possible.

Chris
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:19 PM
CF Senior Member

It all depends what you are trying to do. Just read error codes, do you want ABS codes? The Actron cp9580 can also read ABS codes. If you shop around, I've seen it as low as 192. I'm sure there are other competitive stores to look at. My current scanner is an Actron CP9145. This is the one that will not connect to my 2012 Volt. So I am looking to step it up this time and get one that has bidirectional capabilities so I can run tests and actuate different systems.
Old June 18th, 2014, 7:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank3
I have to buy a new one myself. The last one I got, even though I upgraded it once so it would be CAN enabled, will not talk to my Volt. I am sure the same will hold true for my 2014 Impala as well. The thing is, when something goes wrong, you need it then and now to take care of the issue, not wait for it to come in or have to go pick one up at the store.
I bought this one I believe at Sears to scan codes on my 2002 j-body. It worked on the impala.

2014 2ltz mil - Chevy Impala Forums

I had to read the owner's manual to figure out how to put the car in accessory mode with push button start.

Quick Reply: DTC s retrieval