Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Extended Warranty

Old April 15th, 2014, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

Newbie, just picked up my 2014 Impala.....first Impala I've had since my 1969. Was curious about experiences with extended warranties. I was burned some years ago by a company named 'Warranty Gold" so I'm quite gun shy. The dealer is pressing a company named "Zurich" but I was curious what else is out there and how "sound" they are financially. Any experiences with Zurich or perhaps the Ally GM Warranty.
Old April 15th, 2014, 12:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Every impartial source says extended warranties are not worth it. They are a placebo for perceived piece of mind.

The drivetrain is factory warrantied to 100K miles, all the other stuff until 36K. Keep the $1K-2K in the bank if you are worried: there is a 85% chance that amount will more than make up for not having the warranty.
Old April 15th, 2014, 1:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Every impartial source says extended warranties are not worth it. They are a placebo for perceived piece of mind.

The drivetrain is factory warrantied to 100K miles, all the other stuff until 36K. Keep the $1K-2K in the bank if you are worried: there is a 85% chance that amount will more than make up for not having the warranty.
Agreed, save your money. If you just have to have one, get an extended warranty from GM not a third party warranty company.
Old April 15th, 2014, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

That is absolutely true if you sell a car after 5 years. I just traded a 99 Grand Prix for my Impala so I keep a car for a long time. A warranty saved me on the Grand Prix when it puked coolant into the bottom end (3.8 liter V6 with a PLASTIC intake and tissue paper gaskets, but I digress) and killed the engine. The cost to me for a 10 year warranty calculates out to about $275 per year excluding wear and tear items. My big concern on this car is the electronics as it is LOADED and these are covered. To me the cost/peace of mind is not the issue so much as the stability and honesty of the warranty provider.

As a side note does GM actually sell a warranty? I believe it's administered by a third party.
Old April 15th, 2014, 1:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought mine in my dealerships finance office.

http://www.ally.com/gmpp/index.html

Last edited by sledge.impy; April 15th, 2014 at 1:46 PM.
Old April 15th, 2014, 2:21 PM
CF Junior Member

As a side note does GM actually sell a warranty? I believe it's administered by a third party.
Yes.

Here is another link direct to the GM Protection Plan Site.

GM Extended Warranty Backed By Manufacturer | GMPP Direct Smith

Edit:

This a site that sells the GMPP through a specific dealership. The site from Ally is probably the best to get info.

Last edited by blue-impala; April 15th, 2014 at 2:37 PM.
Old April 15th, 2014, 2:57 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Dennis,

Congratulations and welcome! If you have further questions about warranty or your build sheet, please do not hesitate to reach out to me via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 15th, 2014, 3:08 PM
CF Junior Member

from what ive read you can buy from any GM dealer and some make a business out of sales to people all over at cheaper rates. i wasnt even offered one nor would i take it. i drive so many miles id be out of it in 3 or 4 years.

it's definitely a negotiable item at the table.
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Everything I had read prior to buying my at indicated to me that extended warranties were not worth it. I only agreed because I was told that the warranty that would cover the wheels was a seperate warranty but they would throw it in. I was worried about my the rims getting scraped up on a curb or something, so I said sure.