Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2012, 9:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Chevy Impala

My 2002 Chevy Impala will not start. I replaced the Fuel pump, spark plugs, fuel regulator, Cam shaft sensor, Crank sensor, Fuel filter and I'm still not getting anything. When I spray starting fluid into the throttle body it will fire for a couple seconds then die out again. Lights,radio, windows interior lights all work and If I turn the key to on the battery and security light flashes. Please Help I've spent a lot of money on this car in the past 2 days and I'm starting to get very frustrated that it still isn't starting.
Old April 30th, 2012, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

My 2000 chev malibu was stalling/ not starting. Spent $390 to have a new cylinder installed and now No start. Another $400 for housing. Next time it'll be the $700 TDM. I've been researching a work around that will completely bypass the TDM not just to bypass the ignition. The only thing I have found is a company New rockies inc. that sells a 'PRO GM VATS/PassKey/PassLock Full Bypass Module' looks like they have a patent on it. Has anyone triied this product?
Old May 1st, 2012, 2:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've come across a few SPAMs pushing their stuff. Care to enlighten us on what your research says is so special about it?
Old May 2nd, 2012, 3:45 AM
CF Beginner

It is supposed to bypass the entire TDM not just the ignition. Site: newrockies.com
Old May 2nd, 2012, 6:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny I haven't come across anyone who claims to have actually installed one. Seeing how you were already taken for ~$800 and looking at another $700 (seems outrageous, depending on where you're located), maybe it's worth a try for you. Good luck.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2000 cavalier, and if it's a sunny day the interior gets hot, and it won't start until it cools down in there. I did the passlock bypass according to instructions found here How To Permanently Disable GM PassLock System | How To - John Bain - Winnipeg,Manitoba, and it didn't change anything. I'm going to try this next How to Fix Theft Passlock System on GM Cars - Chevy Malibu - YouTube.
Old May 8th, 2012, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

I am one that has installed a complete passlock bypass and it works perfectly .solved my intermittent no start problem on my 03 Impala .It took about 2 hours to install and it came with instructions and illustrations , one year ago. Now my wife will drive this car . How to disable and remove VATS, PASSKey and Passlock Security Systems in GM cars
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Been a long time!

I started this thread years ago. Was bored and surfing the internet and remembered this thread. Holy Cow! Over 99,000 views. Cleaning the contacts on the back of the switch does
work. I did it for 3 years before getting rid of the car at 190,000 miles. (tranny was acting up). I guess there is a real problem with this model. Oh well, i'll check back in another year to see the views again.
Old June 28th, 2012, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mobileinstaller
ok first off changing the ignition switch and tumblers will do absolutely nothing sorry if you have already done this. there are three main components to the passlock II system the passlock sensor, the BCM, and the Ecm and of course the wiring in between. Odds are if this keeps happening and there is no other problems such as door locks freaking out trunk release just goin off then it's not the bcm if you do the relearn feature and it works the it is also not the Ecm. so you are left with the 3 wires that run from the bcm to the passlock sensor.odds are the passlock sensor is bad. now there are two solutions either go to the dealer and have the sensor replaced or bypass the system for good. any respectable mobile electonics installer should be able to do this no problem it takes me about 20 mins and i personally charge 40 dollars to do so hope this helps also if you are mechanically inclined in electronics i can send a diagram on how to bypass it yourself hope this all helps
hey Mobileinstaller, could you send me the diagram on the passlock bypass that would work on my 2000 impala? thank you for your time.
Old July 24th, 2012, 6:40 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

mobileinstaller please email me with the bypass fix thanks

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!