Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2014, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I have the same problems 2004 impala ignition its been replaced just won't start please help my email is mikesfp60@gmail.com

Last edited by miketwice; April 16th, 2014 at 3:12 PM.
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

Red face

I have a 2002 chevy impala and it recently started that with that not starting mess...wait 5 min then it would start up.Yesterday it stopped completly and I tried to reset it and the security light never stopped blinking...I was wondering if you could send me the the by pass instructions so I can get my car fixed!!! rozinab10@gmail.com
Old April 19th, 2014, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mobileinstaller
ok first off changing the ignition switch and tumblers will do absolutely nothing sorry if you have already done this. there are three main components to the passlock II system the passlock sensor, the BCM, and the Ecm and of course the wiring in between. Odds are if this keeps happening and there is no other problems such as door locks freaking out trunk release just goin off then it's not the bcm if you do the relearn feature and it works the it is also not the Ecm. so you are left with the 3 wires that run from the bcm to the passlock sensor.odds are the passlock sensor is bad. now there are two solutions either go to the dealer and have the sensor replaced or bypass the system for good. any respectable mobile electonics installer should be able to do this no problem it takes me about 20 mins and i personally charge 40 dollars to do so hope this helps also if you are mechanically inclined in electronics i can send a diagram on how to bypass it yourself hope this all helps
I have this exact problem on a 2004 Impala. Please send me the diagram. If you so choose, send me your mailing address and if I can complete this fix and the issue goes away, I have no problem sending you some money for the information. My email address is michaelwblake0307@gmail.com. Thanks
Old May 13th, 2014, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

ok first off changing the ignition switch and tumblers will do absolutely nothing sorry if you have already done this. There are three main components to the passlock ii system the passlock sensor, the bcm, and the ecm and of course the wiring in between. Odds are if this keeps happening and there is no other problems such as door locks freaking out trunk release just goin off then it's not the bcm if you do the relearn feature and it works the it is also not the ecm. So you are left with the 3 wires that run from the bcm to the passlock sensor.odds are the passlock sensor is bad. Now there are two solutions either go to the dealer and have the sensor replaced or bypass the system for good. Any respectable mobile electonics installer should be able to do this no problem it takes me about 20 mins and i personally charge 40 dollars to do so hope this helps also if you are mechanically inclined in electronics i can send a diagram on how to bypass it yourself hope this all helps
can u send me the diagram for the wires
Old May 17th, 2014, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Resistor Worked For Me

I registered just to post this.

I have an 02 malibu, and I started having issues with the passlock stuff about 6 months ago when I had to change my battery. I was able to get the car running somehow with the remote unlock fob and doing the 10 min reset. This last week it started acting up. I got in my car after work and it took about 20 mins to get it running. The next morning it would not even start. I tried everything I could find on the net about it to get her up and running. I ended up draining my battery. I tried cleaning the contacts in my ignition switch as suggested by the op, but that didn't work.

I went to Radio Shack and bought a pack of 2.2 k ohm 1/4 watt resistors and a soldering iron. On the top of my ignition switch were three wires, black, yellow, and red. I clipped the yellow one and stripped about an inch off the black one. I soldered one part of the resistor to the stripped black wire, and the other end to the part the yellow wire running to the bcm, away from the ignition. I put everything back togethr and jumped my car (remember, I drained the battery). I then had to do the 10 min relearn. I tried to start my car. It started for a few seconds, then died. I let the key on 'run' and waited 10 mins. I then turned it off and waited 30 seconds. After all this, my car started right up.

I don't remember where I read it first, but after watching this video, I figured I would give it a try. In the video he does at the bcm, but I already had the ignition apart so that's where I did it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=84yucAjx_LQ

I hope this helps someone else save the $$$ that the dealership would charge to fix this.
Old May 20th, 2014, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ashamed!

Originally Posted by shawnvw
sorry to say, but the passlock, and ignition switch are 2 totally different systems. They are not wired in series and have nothing to do with each other
The wires for the passlock go straight to the BCM without any detours. The BCM sends a 5v reference signal to the passlock sensor, goes through the resistor in the sensor, and goes back to the BCM. If the voltage sent back to the BCM does not match what it has stored in its memory, then you get passlocked out.

Your probelm was probably with the ignition switch the entire time.

And passlock sensors DO go bad regardless of what someone told you

Yes the passlock goes bad! THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE! AND YES the PASSLOCK IS CONNECTED TO THE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER! If this twit is telling you different, research it yourself! This has been a GM ISSUE since the 1990s, PASSLOCK 1&2 are the biggest offenders! IN ALL MODELS CHEVY/GM/OLDSMOBILE/PONTIAC/BUICK!
Anyone who tries to blow smoke and represents any part of GM knows better! If not, you need more training, because you don't know your GM cars AT ALL!
Old May 20th, 2014, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

How to Disable a GM PassLock System | eHow

You really need to some research. The PASSLOCK system is also wired to the Ignition Lock Cylinder!
Old June 22nd, 2014, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2004 Impala passlock sensor bypass diagram

ok first off changing the ignition switch and tumblers will do absolutely nothing sorry if you have already done this. there are three main components to the passlock II system the passlock sensor, the BCM, and the Ecm and of course the wiring in between. Odds are if this keeps happening and there is no other problems such as door locks freaking out trunk release just goin off then it's not the bcm if you do the relearn feature and it works the it is also not the Ecm. so you are left with the 3 wires that run from the bcm to the passlock sensor.odds are the passlock sensor is bad. now there are two solutions either go to the dealer and have the sensor replaced or bypass the system for good. any respectable mobile electonics installer should be able to do this no problem it takes me about 20 mins and i personally charge 40 dollars to do so hope this helps also if you are mechanically inclined in electronics i can send a diagram on how to bypass it yourself hope this all helps
Thank you.
Old June 26th, 2014, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default Can someone email me the instructions to do the passlock contact clean fix for this

[QUOTE=jondoe28;91776]Had this done a couple of weeks ago. Hasn't acted up once, security hasn't come on at
all either. Hired our tractor mechanic to do it. Said 2 contacts were burnt on key switch.
Used sand paper to clean them, and good to go. Cut and pasted from another site:

I just fixed my 2002 impala security light issue. It cost me 2 hours, no money. Here is how the system works. The passlock sensor and the ignition switch are in series. When you turn your key you generate a low current read by the body control module. If the current generated is out of range the BCM won't recognize the signal and your car won't start for 10 min. There could be different reasons why the signal is out of range. On most of the cases the ignition switch contacts are burned out, and this will cause a voltage drop on the contact so the signal getting to the BCM is going to be lower than usual so it will be out of range. Take your ignition switch out (if you don't know how send me your e-mail (believe me I'm not looking for e-mail addresses I just need to scan the instructions, since I have them only printed out) and I'll send you ........ My impala is doing this on an increasingly frequent basis.... I see a few of you offer an instruction sheet for a DUY fix. Can someone email it. Thanks! Mike
Old July 11th, 2014, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default Help! Johndoe28

I'm having the same issue with the security light blinking and having to wait for my car to start. I got my cam shaft sensor and alternator fixed and it's still acting up. @Johndoe28 could you please send me those instructions on how to fix the contacts to fashionfeign@gmail.com . Thanks!

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!