Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2014, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to know how to bypass the vats security

I just fixed my 2002 impala security light issue. It cost me 2 hours, no money. Here is how the system works. The passlock sensor and the ignition switch are in series. When you turn your key you generate a low current read by the body control module. If the current generated is out of range the BCM won't recognize the signal and your car won't start for 10 min. There could be different reasons why the signal is out of range. On most of the cases the ignition switch contacts are burned out, and this will cause a voltage drop on the contact so the signal getting to the BCM is going to be lower than usual so it will be out of range. Take your ignition switch out (if you don't know how send me your e-mail (believe me I'm not looking for e-mail addresses I just need to scan the instructions, since I have them only printed out) and I'll send you detailed instructions for free. Once the switch is out remove the cover on the back of the switch (it is clipped on, all you need is a flat head screwdriver). Once the cover is removed you should see 5 fairly big electric contacts. I bet at least one or two are burned out. Clean them with fine sand paper until their surface is clean and flat and make sure the steel springs pressing the contacts together are tight and are pushing the contacts firmly. If not, using pliers bend them to get good contacts. Reinstall the switch and your car should start every time. If the contacts are really bad you might have to change the ignition switch.
I know dealers want to change every part on the car so please do not let them change the passlock sensor. The passlock sensor is a hall sensor and there is no reason for the sensor to go bad.[/QUOTE]
Old July 28th, 2014, 5:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by siprecords
could you please send me the diogram on how to by pass the the ignition or cylen so my car can crank, right now i have a universal started switch to start my car siprecords863@gmail.com
Hey a couple spots above I believe #195 I uploaded the diagram on passlock 2 if you need it for another type I will have to draw one up and send it to you
Old August 16th, 2014, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default Hey

My email is eddiesjust4ualso@yahoo.com
Please email me details
Old August 17th, 2014, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default A Fix to Passlock

Ok,so I after experiencing this myself in my own car and becoming extremely frustrated.. I have taken to the streets with getting a resolution. Whereas I am not there yet, I have paved a road and need others to travel it.

First, if you have a Passlock I/II or VATS system and have been experiencing issues. Please don't let it rest in misc blogs or q&A's around the internet. Get your answers but bring the issue public!

I started with NTSB on Twitter... I now have an open dialog going with ChevyCustomerCare on Twitter. I have blasted the GM and Chevy twitter sites and Facebook pages. Posting EVERYTIME I get "locked" out and what kind of issues it having! I have posted video, pictures, and short comments each time! And will continue to!

I get locked out about 2-3 a week at this point. Used to be once every 2 months. So no matter what I will have to get a new system installed or a bypass installed.. either way costing me money that Chevy/GM should have fix a long time ago! All I ask is that you please follow my travels and do the same. Each time you are locked out.. go to the Social Media that they rely on for good publicity and pull the curtain on this blatant failure!

Thank you for your support! Good luck with your own VATS/Passlock system problems!
Old September 4th, 2014, 6:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default need the diagram

Originally Posted by mobileinstaller
ok first off changing the ignition switch and tumblers will do absolutely nothing sorry if you have already done this. there are three main components to the passlock II system the passlock sensor, the BCM, and the Ecm and of course the wiring in between. Odds are if this keeps happening and there is no other problems such as door locks freaking out trunk release just goin off then it's not the bcm if you do the relearn feature and it works the it is also not the Ecm. so you are left with the 3 wires that run from the bcm to the passlock sensor.odds are the passlock sensor is bad. now there are two solutions either go to the dealer and have the sensor replaced or bypass the system for good. any respectable mobile electonics installer should be able to do this no problem it takes me about 20 mins and i personally charge 40 dollars to do so hope this helps also if you are mechanically inclined in electronics i can send a diagram on how to bypass it yourself hope this all helps
Hi can you send me the diagram please gochoa14@gmail.com thanks
Old September 6th, 2014, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

im totally lost I drove my chevy impala with no issues this morning I go in the store come out and it wont start tried to jump it wont start when I turn the ignition it clicks once and the low fuel and security light come on then go off I go back to my car the next morning battery completely dead so I change battery & starter still no start and when I changed battery no alarm went off im so confused my stock radio keeps saying cal err someone plz help me out I have school next week and no other way to get there
Old September 6th, 2014, 11:37 PM
CF Beginner

can you send me those directions please and thank you! bigpapa0288@gmail.com
Old September 8th, 2014, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Need to know how to get the ignition switch out. Thank you
Old September 9th, 2014, 5:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jerekohlhoff
Need to know how to get the ignition switch out. Thank you
What kind of car do you have?
Old September 10th, 2014, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default Need the diagram

2004 Chevy Impala 3.8 Need to know how to remove and replace the ignition switch. Thanks

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!