Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2015, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help

Originally Posted by mobileinstaller
ok first off changing the ignition switch and tumblers will do absolutely nothing sorry if you have already done this. there are three main components to the passlock II system the passlock sensor, the BCM, and the Ecm and of course the wiring in between. Odds are if this keeps happening and there is no other problems such as door locks freaking out trunk release just goin off then it's not the bcm if you do the relearn feature and it works the it is also not the Ecm. so you are left with the 3 wires that run from the bcm to the passlock sensor.odds are the passlock sensor is bad. now there are two solutions either go to the dealer and have the sensor replaced or bypass the system for good. any respectable mobile electonics installer should be able to do this no problem it takes me about 20 mins and i personally charge 40 dollars to do so hope this helps also if you are mechanically inclined in electronics i can send a diagram on how to bypass it yourself hope this all helps
By chance would you still have the tech write up or diagram on how to fix this problem im having. It just accrued today ? If you could email it to me that would be great.
Old August 26th, 2015, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default 04 impala passlock

Can you please send me a copy of your diagram to fix this passlock problem with my impala any help would be very appreciated my email is rominen79@gmail.com thank you
Old October 21st, 2015, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mobileinstaller
ok first off changing the ignition switch and tumblers will do absolutely nothing sorry if you have already done this. there are three main components to the passlock II system the passlock sensor, the BCM, and the Ecm and of course the wiring in between. Odds are if this keeps happening and there is no other problems such as door locks freaking out trunk release just goin off then it's not the bcm if you do the relearn feature and it works the it is also not the Ecm. so you are left with the 3 wires that run from the bcm to the passlock sensor.odds are the passlock sensor is bad. now there are two solutions either go to the dealer and have the sensor replaced or bypass the system for good. any respectable mobile electonics installer should be able to do this no problem it takes me about 20 mins and i personally charge 40 dollars to do so hope this helps also if you are mechanically inclined in electronics i can send a diagram on how to bypass it yourself hope this all helps
Hi: you said something about sending instructions how to do a bypass, please feel free to send me a copy of the diagram, thanking you in advance.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 9:32 PM
CF Active Member

This one was listed on another forum I'm on. Or you could try doing a web search, putting in "remote start" might help as well since passlock wouldn't allow that to work.

Speaking of the other forum, there are also many members there that have a 'tune' (look up Overkill) installed which disables the passlock.
Old October 29th, 2015, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 chevy impala passlock bypass

My impale won't start and everywhere I look it seems to be the passlock sensor. Could you send me the diagram on how to bypass?
Old October 29th, 2015, 4:36 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by kentodd
My impale won't start and everywhere I look it seems to be the passlock sensor. Could you send me the diagram on how to bypass?
In my post just above yours, "This one" is a link to the instructions for doing a bypass. That page doesn't have any pictures, but we are only talking about a sensor with 3 wires from it to the BCM.
Old November 13th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Newly Registered

Default Please send diagram are some instructions to fix passlock, ignition, issues

Jondoe28

Can you send me instructions (with diagram preferrably) on how to fix the passlock problem? Thank you.

I have fought this problem for months my email is ( tipton247@gmail.com)
Old November 19th, 2015, 4:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default Secuirity light

Jondoe28...pls does your secuirity light procedure work for chevy express?
Old November 19th, 2015, 8:56 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tobab4u
Jondoe28...pls does your secuirity light procedure work for chevy express?
First off, Jondoe28's fix had nothing to do with the security light. If you truly have a security issue and your vehicle uses the same system as the 7th gen Impala (Passlock II?), there are no contacts to clean for that problem. The system on these cars is basically a metal detector - it is WIRELESS as far as the key is concerned. The contacts OP cleaned are strictly for the ignition and have nothing to do with security. Even at the end of that post it is pointed out about a hall sensor - google it, it doesn't use electrical contacts for sensing.

At this age (10-20 years) you can have all kinds of electronic failures, and electronics don't always fail hard they often go intermittent for a while first. The passlock issue is also often misdiagnosed because the car isn't running and the message center shows "security"...but that is normal with the key just sitting in position 2. If the "security" message is flashing quickly then you definitely have a passlock problem. Often it can be fixed by replacing the sensor on the key switch ($80?), and in some cases the BCM needs to be replaced (this requires coding to the car!). Having a remote start or an engine tune will bypass the passlock system.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default Looking for a solution????? Please help

I am having the same problem, car will not start security locks flashes when i try to turn the key. Replced started it worked for a while than back to the same thing. Sometimes it starts other times it dont. Very frustrating. Had the computer hooked up it showed no errors. Whats really going on????QUOTE=rags;142775]man im new on this board and i hope someone can shed some light,i have a 2002 monte carlo that worked fine for the last few years,i didnt drive it for awhile ,i had to charge the battery and i was going to start the car and nothing, no click no turn over ,the light flashes i can hear some clicking when i turn the key, i have tried all the internet fixes 10 minute wait,take the ignition apart ect, ive been out of work so i cant take it to a dealer can someone point me to the correct way to diagnose and fix this problem ,thanks rags[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!